Subject: [rohc] ROHC.sub!(cabo, Chair.new)

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:48:52 +0300

ROHCers,

I have been co-chair of the ROHC working group since it was approved
on March 9, 2000.  Six years is a long time.  The WG has had some
great successes in that time, of which I'll just list two:

-- The publication of RFC 3095 from a confusing melee of input
    documents at the height of the 3G craze.  We actually managed to
    get this work done with 16 co-authors, resulting in 168 pages of
    specification.  RFC 3095 allows compressing the IP/UDP/RTP headers
    into a single byte; together with RFC 3242 (now 4362) we also can
    make do with zero bytes if we get some help from the lower layers.
    ROHC started out as a header compression scheme focused on RTP, but
    is now a full-fledged header compression framework with 9 profiles
    and several more in the making.

-- The publication of RFC 3320 etc. for Signaling Compression -- as
    far as I know the first time the IETF has approved a specification
    fully relying on mobile code. SigComp allows the IETF to hold back
    the tide on moving its traditional text based signaling protocols
    to the obscure binary representations that repeatedly get proposed.

In addition to the 20 RFCs this WG has produced and the two in the RFC
editor queue, we also have some ongoing work that we need to complete,
most notably the nearly finished TCP header compression specification.

With increasing commitments outside the IETF and another WG co-chair
responsibility, I'm no longer able to give the ROHC WG management the
regular attention it deserves.  This is not fair to Lars-Erik, my
excellent co-chair of more than four years, and neither to the WG as a
whole.  It is time for new blood.

Magnus Westerlund, the AD who has taken primary responsibility for the
ROHC WG, is now looking for a replacement co-chair.  Please contact
him before the end of next week if you know somebody (including
yourself) that you think would be a candidate for the job.  (Don't
hesitate because you haven't chaired a WG before -- Lars-Erik and the
ADs will easily teach you what you need to know!)

In exchange for reducing my managerial involvement, I may actually be
able to do more technical work.  HCoIPsec is dear to my heart, and I
really want to contribute more to the completion of ROHC over 802.
I look forward to working with Lars-Erik and the new co-chair, as well
as all of you, in getting this work out into the wild.

Gruesse, Carsten

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc