Subject: [rohc] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC5795 (2109)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 03:33:12 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5795,
"The RObust Header Compression (ROHC) Framework".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5795&eid=2109

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Alfred Hoenes <[email-masked]>

Section: 5.1.2, pg.17

Original Text
-------------
[[  first paragraph on page 17: ]]

   PROFILES: Set of non-negative integers, where each integer indicates
   a profile supported by both the compressor and the decompressor.  A
|  profile is identified by a 16-bit value, where the 8 LSB bits
|  indicate the actual profile, and the 8 MSB bits indicate the variant
   of that profile.  The ROHC compressed header format identifies the
|  profile used with only the 8 LSB bits; this means that if multiple
   variants of the same profile are available for a ROHC channel, the
   PROFILES set after negotiation MUST NOT include more than one variant
   of the same profile.  The compressor MUST NOT compress using a
   profile that is not in PROFILES.

Corrected Text
--------------
   PROFILES:  Set of non-negative integers, where each integer indicates
   a profile supported by both the compressor and the decompressor.  A
|  profile is identified by a 16-bit value, where the 8 LSBs indicate
|  the actual profile, and the 8 MSBs indicate the variant of that
   profile.  The ROHC compressed header format identifies the profile
|  used with only the 8 LSBs; this means that if multiple variants of
   the same profile are available for a ROHC channel, the PROFILES set
   after negotiation MUST NOT include more than one variant of the same
   profile.  The compressor MUST NOT compress using a profile that is
   not in PROFILES.

Notes
-----
Rationale:  Abuse of language;
  the acronym definitions in Section 2.1 clearly say:
     LSB    Least Significant Bit.
     ...
     MSB    Most Significant Bit.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5795 (draft-ietf-rohc-rfc4995bis-03)
--------------------------------------
Title               : The RObust Header Compression (ROHC) Framework
Publication Date    : March 2010
Author(s)           : K. Sandlund, G. Pelletier, L-E. Jonsson
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Robust Header Compression
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG