Subject: [rohc] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC5795 (2108)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 03:27:52 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5795,
"The RObust Header Compression (ROHC) Framework".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5795&eid=2108

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Alfred Hoenes <[email-masked]>

Section: 3.2

Original Text
-------------
[[  last paragraph on page 9: ]]

|  An enhanced variant of CRTP, called eCRTP [RFC3545], means to improve
   the robustness of CRTP in the presence of reordering and packet
   losses, while keeping the protocol almost unchanged from CRTP.  As a
   result, eCRTP does provide better means to implement some degree of
   robustness, albeit at the expense of additional overhead, leading to
   a reduction in compression efficiency in comparison to CRTP.

Corrected Text
--------------
|  An enhanced variant of CRTP, called eCRTP [RFC3545], introduces means
   to improve the robustness of CRTP in the presence of reordering and
   packet losses, while keeping the protocol almost unchanged from CRTP.
   As a result, eCRTP does provide better means to implement some degree
   of robustness, albeit at the expense of additional overhead, leading
   to a reduction in compression efficiency in comparison to CRTP.

Notes
-----
Rationale: missing verb (legacy).

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5795 (draft-ietf-rohc-rfc4995bis-03)
--------------------------------------
Title               : The RObust Header Compression (ROHC) Framework
Publication Date    : March 2010
Author(s)           : K. Sandlund, G. Pelletier, L-E. Jonsson
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Robust Header Compression
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 19:08:02 +0200

On Apr 5, 2010, at 12:27, RFC Errata System wrote:

> means to improve

Not an error.
"means" is used as a synonym of "intends" here, i.e. as a statement of purpose.
(My impression from reading this is that, by using this slightly stilted language, the authors wanted to subtly express their reservations on whether the reported intention actually succeeded.)

Gruesse, Carsten