Subject: [rohc] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5858 (2277)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 06:14:06 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5858,
"IPsec Extensions to Support Robust Header Compression over IPsec".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5858&eid=2277

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Alfred Hoenes <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.2, pg. 7

Original Text
-------------

                BEFORE COMPRESSION AND APPLICATION OF ESP
                ----------------------------
          IPv4  |orig IP hdr  |     |      |
                |(any options)| TCP | Data |
                ----------------------------

                 AFTER ROHCOIPSEC COMPRESSION AND APPLICATION OF ESP
               ------------------------------------------------------
         IPv4  | new IP hdr  |     | Cmpr. |    | ROHC | ESP   | ESP|
               |(any options)| ESP | Hdr.  |Data| ICV  |Trailer| ICV|
               ------------------------------------------------------

   Figure 1.  Example of a ROHCoIPsec-Processed Packet

Corrected Text
--------------

                BEFORE COMPRESSION AND APPLICATION OF ESP
                ----------------------------
          IPv4  |orig IP hdr  |     |      |
                |(any options)| TCP | Data |
                ----------------------------

                 AFTER ROHCOIPSEC COMPRESSION AND APPLICATION OF ESP
               ------------------------------------------------------
         IPv4  | new IP hdr  |     | Cmpr. |    | ROHC | ESP   | ESP|
               |(any options)| ESP | Hdr.  |Data| ICV  |Trailer| ICV|
|              --------------------+===================+-------------

|  Figure 1.  Example of a ROHCoIPsec-Processed Packet ( +=====+ in
|             the diagram indicates the plaintext that undergoes ESP
|             protection; the packet actually contains the ciphertext)

Notes
-----
Rationale:
 The lower part of Figure 1 misrepresents the packet format;
 in the general case (not ESP NULL encryption), the structure
 of the inner part of the ESP tunnel mode packet is hidden by
 encryption.
 The graphical presentation therefore might mislead the reader.
 The suggested Corrected Text tries to avoid this by graphically
 marking this part of the packet and adding a short note that the
 diagram represents the plaintext structure only.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5858 (draft-ietf-rohc-ipsec-extensions-hcoipsec-08)
--------------------------------------
Title               : IPsec Extensions to Support Robust Header Compression over IPsec
Publication Date    : May 2010
Author(s)           : E. Ertekin, C. Christou, C. Bormann
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Robust Header Compression
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Robert Stangarone <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 02:00:21 -0700

I think that this suggestion would be most beneficial to a reader who
has a minimal exposure to ROHC and IPSEC.

I'm not entirely convinced that it adds much substance to the technical
discussion at hand on how a ROHC ICV may be used to prevent undetected
decompression failures.

That said, I don't think that it detracts from the point which is being
made in this section of the document, and therefore I have no objection
to this revision.

Bob

On 05/19/2010 06:14 AM, RFC Errata System wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Rohc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc
> ************************************************************************
> This mail originated from the whataboutbob.org  domain.
> For any issues related to this mail, or the whataboutbob.org
> domain, contact [email-masked]
> 
> Processed by .25
> ************************************************************************
> 
************************************************************************
This mail originated from the whataboutbob.org  domain.
For any issues related to this mail, or the whataboutbob.org
domain, contact [email-masked]

Processed by .254
************************************************************************