Subject: RE: Routing Area Status Update

From: John Drake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:12:09 -0700

David,  

I'd prefer keeping the restoration work in the MPLS working group.  This is
a key area for MPLS and MPL(ambda)S networks and logically the next thing
for the MPLS group to work on.  Historically, this is where restoration has
been discussed in the past.  

I've never been clear as to what the IPO work group is supposed to do.  The
UNI might be reasonable, but last week the OIF voted for their UNI to use
RSVP-TE and CR-LDP, so it sounds as though the work, if any, could be done
between the OIF and the MPLS work group.

Thanks,

John
-----Original Message-----
From: David Oran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 11:55 AM
To: Routing Area IETF
Subject: Routing Area Status Update

First, Rob and I would like to express our appreciation to all those of you
who have posted suggestions on the list and otherwise participated in the
discussion. The broader and deeper insights we get the better the outcome
will be for structuring the work going forward.

It's been a week since IETF, and everybody at least agrees that we want to
move quickly, so we thought the community deserved a status update on where
we stand on these items. Nothing is finalized to the point that further
discussion and direction changes are precluded, but here is the current
state of affairs:

- We are proceeding toward proposing a new Working Group to handle
generalized comtrol plane issues, as identified in the routing area meeting
(protection/restoration, link characterization, etc.). We are beginning to
talk to potential candidates for chairs of this working group and once we
have good candidates we will proceed with the details of the charter. This
will in all likelihood *not* be the general routing area WG discussed at the
routing-area meeting, but a specific WG for this task, and we are optimistic
that Rob and I will find excellent chairs so we won't have to assume this
problematical role.

- The "Foo-over-MPLS" work is currently under discussion in the IESG and
IAB. The exact form of this work, and which area undertakes it is not
decided. It may be a few more weeks before this settles down. It is not
likely that we will charter the work in the form of "Foo-over-anything" as
some of the list have proposed however, because there is concern that the
encapsulating protocol plays a significant enough role in the details of the
method that we want to make sure no issues surrounding congestion control,
security, scope of deployment, etc. are missed.

- We are in the last stage of getting the IPO WG going. There are one or two
charter items that need a final pass, but this should settle down quite
rapidly.

Dave and Rob.