Subject: RE: IPv6 site-locals... end of story...

From: Jeff Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:55:53 -0500

> When there are hundreds of sites out there 
> running unpatched old versions of BIND or IIS 
> ...why waste your time breaking through a NAT box?
 
Because the target is atractive?  

- jeff parker
_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:53:48 -0800

Jeff,

> Because the target is atractive?

If the target is deemed attractive, then it would presumably have real 
security.  I was suggesting that, all other things being equal, it is 
easier for the script kiddies to target known and easily accessible 
vulnerabilities of which there are myriad than it is to try to take on 
boxes in a disconnected address space.  That's all.  I'm not suggesting 
NAT provides real security, merely that it raises the bar a bit (sort 
of like the lock on your office door).

Rgds,
-drc

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:53:48 -0800

Jeff,

Rgds,
-drc