Subject: Routing Protocols on Interface Cards?

From: Tulip Rasputin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 05:33:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
Nowadays we have distributed router configurations where a lot of intelligence is put in the
interface cards (line cards) also. Do we in such cases ever run the full routing protocol daemon
on each interface card along with the main card?

Or, is a scaled down version of a routing protocol run on such interface cards.

Thanks,
Rasputin

______________________________________________________________________ 
Post your free ad now! http://personals.yahoo.ca
_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 10:44:35 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Tulip Rasputin 
writes:
> Hi,
>  
> Nowadays we have distributed router configurations where a lot of
> intelligence is put in the interface cards (line cards) also. Do we in
> such cases ever run the full routing protocol daemon on each interface
> card along with the main card?
>  

This is the cutting edge.  It depends on whose cards and even what rev
of software, some still not out the door.

IGP adjacencies are handled on line card and more recently EBGP
session and AdjIn/Out processing has been moving in this direction.
Initial motivations were to improve router scaling.

For EBGP this provides an additional protection against high traffic
based denial of service attack.  Using packet filtering and hardware
queueing (normally used for QoS forwarding but serviced by the
processor on the line card) can further improve DoS hardenning.

The routing daemon itself must make use of information from all
interfaces and so far this is still done on a separate processor and
will probably remain that way though possibly distributed among more
than one processor (but not on the line cards).

Curtis

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 10:44:35 -0400

Curtis