Subject: BGMP & DVMRP status Q.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:42:03 -0800

I was told that in the routing area meeting of the 59th ietf,
it was declared that BGMP will go to experimental and DVMRP to PS.

I was wondering what kind of discussion has preceeded these
decisions, as and what the large group of people is that is in
agreement with it.

As for me, i would strongly suggest to make BGMP today informational
and DVMRP historic:

I don't think there's sufficient proof that the IETF wants for the
model proposed by BGMP to be the standard solution for interdomain
ASM, nor do i see any real activity in taking BGMP from powerpoint
to the real world (*oops*, from drafts to routers). As far as DVMRP
is concerned, i think it should be classified historic because 
it violates what i would consider to be the most fundamental Internet
IP multicast routing architecture principle: Separation/independence
of RPF and tree building.

Cheers
        Toerless

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion