Subject: Re: Comments solicited: draft-kompella-zinin-early-allocation-00.txt

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:07:42 -0500

> I think you're missing the problem. It is not the size of the space. It is
> the circular dependency between IANA allocation and STD action. 

I think  there is only a  practical problem if  the space is small.   If the
space  is large,  the  problem  is easily  solved  by making  a  part of  it
available for  FCFS assignment.  In fact,  it seems evident  that it doesn't
make any sense to  put a large space in the "STD  action" category, as there
is no means to enforce it.

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:35:53 +0900

Eric,

> is no means to enforce it.

I see your point now. Note that "STD action" and a space being small are not
directly related--it is feasible to use "STD action" even if the space is big
enough (e.g. for change control), and on the other hand, it is possible to
use other policies for scarce resources (Expert Review, IESG Approval, IETF
Consensus). Also note, that there several existing registries with "STD action"
as the policy and that need this issue solved.

Alex

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:35:53 +0900

Eric,

Alex

---

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:07:42 -0500