Subject: Layer One VPNs

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:21:21 +0100

Hi,

This is just to let you know that a new mail list has been set up for the discussion of
Layer One VPNs. Subscription can be managed through
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn. You are all very welcome to join.

This list is currently "under the care" of the CCAMP co-chairs while we evaluate the
interest and relevance to the IETF.

Much of the initial work for developing service level requirements and an architecture has
come from the ITU-T SG13 and we will advance the discussions in a cooperative
relationship.

At the moment there are three drafts that are of particular interest.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-takeda-l1vpn-framework-00.txt
This provides a good background to what L1VPNs are trying to achieve and summarizes the
architectures that may be used.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-ppvpn-gvpn-bgpgmpls-05.txt
Describes a BGP-based solution to "Generalized VPNs". This fits into one of the
architectural models for L1VPNs.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-overlay-04.txt
Satisfies another of the L1VPN architectural models.

We hope that the next work will be:
- review and refinement of the framework draft
- tightening and further detail for functional requirements
- applicability of the existing GMPLS protocols to the architectures in the
   framework
- identification of any protocol extensions that may be needed.

All of this is done under the following provisos:
- there continues to be interest within the IETF
- it continues to be judged appropriate for the IETF
- no better place for the discussions is identified.

Comments on these points as well as the drafts and the work itself are welcomed on the
list.

Please note that at the moment the automatic archiving of the list is broken, but that
this will be fixed very soon.

Thanks,
Adrian

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion