Subject: question on RFC1771 9.1.3

From: "Jason Chen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:59:41 -0800

Hi,

Can someone enlighten me on one paragraph on BGP RFC 1771 ?

"   For the benefit of future support of inter-AS multicast
capabilities,
   a BGP speaker that participates in inter-AS multicast routing shall
   advertise a route it receives from one of its external peers and if

Rekhter & Li                                                   [Page 38]
 
RFC 1771                         BGP-4                        March 1995

   it installs it in its Loc-RIB, it shall advertise it back to the peer
   from which the route was received. For a BGP speaker that does not
   participate in inter-AS multicast routing such an advertisement is

   optional."

I cannot figure out where it applied to and how it works? Is this
mandatory requirement for supporting MSDP?

Appreciate for the help.

Jason

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:27:14 -0500

Jason,

>    participate in inter-AS multicast routing such an advertisement is

This was removed from the current BGP draft.

> mandatory requirement for supporting MSDP?

Draft-6 of MSDP used this information.  The current MSDP (RFC 3618)  doesn't.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies