Subject: question on RFC1771 9.1.3

From: "Jason Chen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:58:57 -0800

Hi,

Can someone enlighten me on one paragraph on BGP RFC 1771 ?

"   For the benefit of future support of inter-AS multicast
capabilities,
   a BGP speaker that participates in inter-AS multicast routing shall
   advertise a route it receives from one of its external peers and if

Rekhter & Li                                                   [Page 38]
 
RFC 1771                         BGP-4                        March 1995

   it installs it in its Loc-RIB, it shall advertise it back to the peer
   from which the route was received. For a BGP speaker that does not
   participate in inter-AS multicast routing such an advertisement is

   optional."

I cannot figure out where it applied to and how it works? Is this
mandatory requirement for supporting MSDP?

Appreciate for the help.

Jason

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:40:14 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>
"Jason Chen" writes:
>    For the benefit of future support of inter-AS multicast capabilities,

Jason,

At the risk of being proven wrong ...

I think that is left over from the days of Multicast BGP and MOSPF.
I'm not sure if it is still needed.  In any case it doesn't hurt.  If
you don't use Multicast BGP, and no one does, then don't bother with
this advertisement.

Does anyone think this is needed?

Curtis