Subject: Fwd: [Panrg] Proposed Path Aware Networking RG

From: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 16:39:52 +0000

FYI..

I believe there is a significant relationship to routing.

This Proposed RG is unfortunately scheduled against the ideas BOF, so I won't be able to attend.  For those not attending the ideas BOF, please make time for panrg.

Thanks!

Alvaro.

Thumb-typed and autocorrected..

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: July 12, 2017 at 2:21:47 AM EDT
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: [Panrg] Proposed Path Aware Networking RG

Greetings, all,

We'll be having a first meeting of the proposed Path Aware Networking (PAN) RG at IETF 99 in Prague next week, 13:30 Wednesday in Congress Hall 3. Since bringing path awareness to the endpoint has been the focus, at least in part, of a couple of running TSV working groups (MPTCP, TAPS), this RG seems to be of general interest to the transport area.  Olivier Bonaventure will give a review and overview of research to date in this space, and Adrian Perrig will present a fully path-aware Internet architecture, as an illustration of what is possible when path-awareness is promoted to a first-order goal.

>From our proposed charter (https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/panrg/about):

The Internet architecture assumes a division between the end-to-end
functionality of the transport layer and the properties of the path between the
endpoints. The path is assumed to be invisible, homogeneous, singular, with
dynamics solely determined by the connectivity of the endpoints and the Internet
control plane. Endpoints have very little information about the paths over which
their traffic is carried, and no control at all beyond the destination address.

Increased diversity in access networks, and ubiquitous mobile connectivity, have
made this architecture's assumptions about paths less tenable. Multipath
protocols taking advantage of this mobile connectivity begin to show us a way
forward, though: if endpoints cannot control the path, at least they can
determine the properties of the path by choosing among paths available to them.

This research group aims to support research in bringing path awareness to
transport and application layer protocols, and to bring research in this space
to the attention of the Internet engineering and protocol design community.

The scope of work within the RG includes, but is not strictly limited to:

- communication and discovery of information about the properties of a path on
local networks and in internetworks, exploration of trust and risk models
associated with this information, and algorithms for path selection at
endpoints based on this information.

- algorithms for making transport-layer scheduling decisions based on
information about path properties.

- algorithms for reconciling path selection at endpoints with widely deployed
routing protocols and network operations best practices.

The research group's scope overlaps with existing IETF and IRTF efforts, and
will collaborate with groups chartered to work on multipath transport protocols
(MPTCP, QUIC, TSVWG), congestion control in multiply-connected environments
(ICCRG), and alternate routing architectures (e.g. LISP), and is related to
the questions raised in the multiple recent BoF sessions that have addressed
path awareness and multiply-connected networks (e.g. SPUD, PLUS, BANANA).

he PAN(P)RG intends to meet at each IETF meeting until a
determination is made whether or not to charter it. Afterward, the RG intends to
meet at 1-3 IETF meetings per year, and hold one workshop per year, colocated
with a related academic conference.

_______________________________________________
Panrg mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/panrg

---

From: Jeff Tantsura <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 13:01:10 -0700

Same problem...

Regards,
Jeff

> On Jul 12, 2017, at 09:39, Alvaro Retana (aretana) <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> FYI..
> 
>> From: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
>> To: [email-masked]
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> [email-masked]
> routing-discussion mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 22:16:27 +0200

+1

Any chance to swap slots for panrg with something else ?

-- 
---
[email-masked]

---

From: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 20:18:18 +0000

> Any chance to swap slots for panrg with something else ?

Nope…we already tried and any changes would result in worst conflicts.

Alvaro.