Subject: Re: Proposed RPS Workgroup Charter Revision

From: Glenn Mansfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 17:24:47 +0900 (JST)

Curtis,

  >>We can review this decison at tommorrows WG meeting and formally ask
  >>the WG for comment and try to get a better gauge of consensus.

Unfortunately, I will not be there, incase clarifications were required.
I will just restate our proposal to refresh the memory of the group and
for the benefit of new arrivals. For details please refer to
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/rps/chicago-ietf/irrmib.pdf

   Background:

     0. The IRR provides is an essential component that supports
        Internet operation.
     1. The IRR information a very rich and useful source of information 
        for network management. Applications of mapping and fault
        management are coming up. Some examples  were shown at the 
        IETF-RPS-WG@Chicago. 
     2. Presently there is no standard interface for accessing the IRR
        information.
     3. Since Management applications will use this information, SNMP
        should be considered as one of the access mechanisms. That
        calls for designing of MIBs
  
   Proposal:
     There is a proposal for three MIBs 
  
     IRR-Query MIB to query the IRRd for information that will
     potentially be used  by management applications (as-info,
     administrative info, connectivity info, route info etc.).
     We are very keen about this MIB. And I admit that this MIB will 
     be of greater interest to network management folks and application
     developers/designers.   
    
     IRR-MIBd MIB to monitor the IRRd application. The database, its
     components, size, accesses, errors, security violations etc. etc. 
     All from a standard management interface. It requires a small 
     extension to the Network Service Minitoring MIB. 
     IMHO any application of importance should be SNMP-monitorable.

     IRR-MIB: To access raw IRR info and possibly update too (using
     SET). SNMPv3 security mechanism may be used.
     This is not our primary interest. As far as applications are
     concerned it will not make any difference whether SNMP is
     used to manage the IRR or not.

In case there are doubts please mail.

  Cheers

  Glenn