Subject: [RPSEC] threat models

From: "Senthilkumar Ayyasamy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 02:48:55 -0500

As someone mentioned in some previous mails, studying
threat models based on protocols, algorithms and its
implementation sounds reasonable. Some of the present
day security breaches in routing are due to
*implementation* mistakes. Code red and nimada perplexed
the BGP stability and had major effect across the internet.
Many of BGP misconfigurations lead to security breaches.
Hence studies on security vulnerabilities due to
RP implementation is also essential. Remember,I am talking
about high-level security requirements& threat(sr&t) and not
robust coding (which is not an IETF topic as such.)

We are currently discussing only the privacy mechanisms side
of RP. But discussion should also consider various other
vulnerabilities like: DDoS attacks on routing protols, breaches
due to misconfigurations errors, and  spoofing across routing
systems. My opinion is lot have been done in protecting
privacy& routing session by means of various encryption
schemes in RP. Hence focussing on major threats like DDoS
is important.

I presume that  vulnerabilities are more in inter-domain than in
intra-domain. A complex situation comes with respect to idr where
trust& security policy of  peering domains vary. Hence particular
attention to idr sr&t is essential.

Let me make my previous question on e2e more clear:
Whether we assume that a particular router trusts its neighbour
alone or we advocating e2e authendication like ipsec. Possibly the answer 
will be the former one. But, It is also necessary that we
should not disturbe *application host to host* secured communication
by security mechanisms like IPSEC.

- senthil.

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com

_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec

---

From: "Senthilkumar Ayyasamy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:19:15 -0500

Sandy,
http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/ids/draft-murphy-bgp-vuln-00.txt
talks about most of the threat issues related to BGP. But the
document could cover some other vulnerabities too.

>From: "Senthilkumar Ayyasamy" <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [RPSEC] threat models
>Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 02:48:55 -0500
>

------------------------------------------------
Ayysamy SenthilKumar
M.S(computer networking)
UMKC,MO-64112
------------------------------------------------
Never will a man penetrate deeper into error than when he is continuing on a 
road that has led him to a great sucess
                       -- Friederich von hayek
------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com