Subject: Re: [rrg] v4 and/or v6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 04:44:22 EDT

In einer eMail vom 17.04.2009 07:00:32 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

> One  measure of the seriousness of the scalable routing problem is the
>  number of DFZ routes (BGP advertised prefixes).  According to:
>  
>    http://bgp.potaroo.net/v6/v6rpt.html
> 
>  the IPv6 problem is about 1/256th that of the IPv4 problem.    With
> the current doubling time of 2 years, it will take 16 years  before
> the IPv6 scaling problem approximates that of today's IPv4  problem.

This is clearly only a tactical view.  The routing  architectures of the 
two are wholly identical (with perhaps v6 address  allocation policies 
being worse).  If anything, this is soley a  measure of the lack of v6 
deployment.

In the strategic view, the v6  problem must (also?) be solved.

The IAB RAWS report states that IPv6 will increase the scaling problem by  
at least factor 4 :-(
How much worse would the current situation be if the figures  on 
_http://bgp.potaroo.net/v6/v6rpt.html_ (http://bgp.potaroo.net/v6/v6rpt.html)  
were inversely related to v4 and v6 ?!
 
Heiner

Heiner