Subject: Re: [rrg] Relativity & generality and Terminology, 3rd pass

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:42:53 EDT

location may follow addressing. Addressing may follow location. Choose  one.
 
Heiner

In einer eMail vom 03.04.2009 17:34:34 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

On Apr  3, 2009, at 17:21 , Scott Brim wrote:

>
>
>>  address    An address is a name that is used as both an  interface
>>        locator and an endpoint  identifier.
>
> Hmm ... this brings in "interface" and  "endpoint".  I suggest:
>
>  An address is a name that  is used both as an IP-layer locator and an
>  IP-layer endpoint  identifier.

Sounds much better to me.

Luigi

>  _______________________________________________
> rrg mailing  list
> [email-masked]
>  http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/rrg

_______________________________________________
rrg  mailing  list
[email-masked]
http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/rrg

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 12:11:59 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>

    > In particular, "topological sensitivity" could be defined as either or
    > both of the following:
    > (1) as the property of being used in path selection.
    > (2) as the property of encoding a path, strictly or loosely.

I don't really like the second, because although paths may be given in terms
of a series of locators, locators also are used in other ways.

To use a real-world example, the real-world 'locator':

	123 High Street, 
	Bigtown,
	Green County,
	Outer Luvania

just names a particular _place_ - and says _nothing_ about _any_ paths to it
(although one would usually expect all paths to it to eventually travel along
High Street, etc).

In general, my real-world analogue for 'locator' (at least, in terms of their
_functionality) is 'street address' - and so, when thinking about properties
of locators, I tend to use street addresses as a mental model. I would suggest
we could all benefit from doing the same.

	Noel

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 14:34:11 EDT

Yes, this is finally a real-world example. It may address/locate/identify  
some particular letter box among a bin of such letter boxes, e.g. if you add an  
additional bin number in front of 123 High Street.
The delivery service ends there. No matter who (which person) picks it up  
from there.With all such letter boxes being nodes of the postal delivery  
network, that network is thousand times bigger than the DFZ-core of the  internet, 
and will never have a scalability problem.
 
Just wordsmithing, morphing, etc. does not bring out a good solution. Each  
solution may create its own terms like sender/receiver or  initiator/responder 
or source/destination or  ITR/ETR....and may introduce  them up front.
 
Heiner

 
In einer eMail vom 04.04.2009 18:12:10 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

123 High  Street, 
Bigtown,
Green County,
Outer Luvania

In  general, my real-world analogue for 'locator' (at least, in terms of  
their
_functionality) is 'street address' - and so, when thinking about  properties
of locators, I tend to use street addresses as a mental model. I  would 
suggest
we could all benefit from doing the same.

Noel