Subject: [rrg] CFP: ACM ReArch'09 (co-located with ACM CoNEXT)

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:48:55 +0300

ACM ReArch'09 - Re-Architecting the Internet
Co-located with ACM CoNEXT 2009
Rome, Italy, December 1, 2009
http://conferences.sigcomm.org/co-next/2009/workshops/rearch

Submission Deadline: August 6, 2009
Submit at: http://edas.info/newPaper.php?c=7673

Motivation

The Internet architecture has been remarkably successful in
allowing a planet-scale internetwork to form. However, this
architecture is losing its original simplicity and transparency
as new classes of applications, business models, security
mechanisms, scalability enablers and operational and management
requirements give rise to point solutions that extend the
architecture without regards to its original design principles.

Although these developments are necessary in the short term to
allow the Internet to continue to operate under the present
economical, technical and social conditions, in combination,
they have significantly reduced the potential for longer-term
evolution of the Internet architecture. This loss of
flexibility is already being felt as the number of Internet
nodes grows by another order of magnitude.

Several substantial Future Internet initiatives are underway in
Europe, the Americas and Asia, and the vendor and network
operator communities are also actively discussing the
limitations of the current Internet architecture as well as its
potential evolution. The first solution proposals in this space
have already started to be analyzed.

ReArch'09 - the second instance of this workshop since its very
successful debut at CONeXT 2008 - will discuss the underlying
problems of the Internet architecture and protocols and debate
how we might fix them in a way that regains us the original
architectural simplicity and clarity of the Internet for another
30+ years.

This workshop solicits original, high-quality papers that
analyze and discuss ideas for a new Internet architecture,
including specific improvements to current Internet protocols,
especially at the internetworking, transport and application
layers, new internetworking components that integrate into the
existing architecture and ideas for clean-slate internetworking
architectures.

Topics

ReArch'09 covers all aspects related to the current and future
Internet architecture including, but not limited to, the
following impact:

  * New networking paradigms
  * New business models
  * New routing architectures
  * New traffic engineering and congestion control mechanisms
  * Measurements and analyses that characterize and quantify
    architectural limitations
  * New architecture proposals and their implications for
    research and operations
  * New protocols to address specific architectural limitations
  * Studies of interactions between stakeholders of the Internet
    and the architecture itself
  * Design principles and interfaces to accommodate the
    conflicting interests of stakeholders in the architecture
  * Principles of evolving future architectures
  * Discussions on interworking with the existing Internet and
    deployability

Papers that present interesting, fresh ideas at an early stage
are more suitable for this workshop than highly polished results
or incremental refinements of previous work. Submissions may
include position papers that point out new directions and
attempt to stimulate discussion; position papers should be
clearly marked as such. Submission must be original and not
already be published or submitted for publication elsewhere.
The proceedings of the workshop will be published in the ACM
Digital Library.

Submissions

Submitted papers must be at most six (6) pages long, including
all figures, tables, references, appendices, etc. They must be
formatted according to the standard ACM double column format
*except* that *all* text must use a font size of 10 points or
larger. Longer submissions will not be reviewed. The review
process is single-blind. Submit papers via EDAS at
http://edas.info/newPaper.php?c=7673

  Submission Deadline:          August 6, 2009
  Notification Deadline:        September 10, 2009
  Camera Ready Deadline:        October 1, 2009
  ReArch'09:                    December 1, 2009

Committees

Workshop Co-Chairs

  Lars Eggert, Nokia Research Center & TKK, Finland
  Tilman Wolf, University of Massachusetts, USA

Technical Program Committee

  Bengt Ahlgren, SICS, Sweden
  Mark Allman, ICSI, USA
  Bob Briscoe, BT Group, United Kingdom
  Brian Carpenter, University of Auckland, New Zealand
  Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
  Kevin Fall, Intel Research, USA
  Pierre Francois, UC Louvain, Belgium
  James Griffioen, University of Kentucky, USA
  Robert Hancock, Roke Manor Research, United Kingdom
  Mark Handley, University College London, United Kingdom
  Hiroaki Harai, NICT, Japan
  Daniel Massey, Colorado State University, USA
  Martin May, Thomson Research, France
  Akihiro Nakao, Univeristy of Tokyo, Japan
  Pekka Nikander, Ericsson Research Nomadiclab, Finland
  Craig Partridge, BBN Technologies, USA
  George Rouskas, North Carolina State University, USA
  Peter Steenkiste, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
  Christian Vogt, Ericsson Research, USA
  Klaus Wehrle, RWTH Aachen, Germany
  Rolf Winter, NEC Network Labs, Germany
  Martina Zitterbart, University of Karlsruhe, Germany

Steering Committee

  Marcelo Bagnulo, University Carlos III of Madrid, Spain
  Olivier Bonaventure, UC Louvain, Belgium
  Kenjiro Cho, IIJ, Japan
  Joe Touch, USC/ISI, USA