Subject: Re: [rrg] MIP in a future routing architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 04:02:22 EST

Thank you, Dino, for updating me wrt LISP&mobility and for sending the  
Meyer-draft.
I do understand the organizational arguments with the LISP-charter.
But wrt RRG, the mobility issue should have highest priority.
Obviously, you can cater for mobility on top of whichever routing  
architecture. Proof: MIP4.
But in search of a future routing architecture you can also come up with  
something that doesn't depend on a home-agent and  which is also  most 
appropriate for mobile nodes, i.e. some other than a mobility-jack-up  solution.
 
Heiner

In einer eMail vom 26.11.2009 00:13:54 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

Dave  Meyer presented LISP-MN in the IETF Friday morning LISP WG  
meeting.  The ID is enclosed. Dave can forward the slides he used to   
present.

Dino

On Nov 25, 2009, at 3:09  PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Whenever I mentioned, how badly  MIP is handled by all models of the  
> well-positioned  RRG-contributors, the response was silence. In the  
>  LISP-mailinglist discussion this issue is officially deferred.Bottom- 
>  line: Let's push LISP as it is and let's think about MIP later, when   
> LISP is well anchored.
>
> It seams to me that inside  RRG  this issue isn't handled differently.
>
> Heiner
>  _______________________________________________
> rrg mailing  list
> [email-masked]
>  http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/rrg

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:21:05 -0800

> Thank you, Dino, for updating me wrt LISP&mobility and for sending  
> the Meyer-draft.
> But in search of a future routing architecture you can also come up  
> with something that doesn't depend on a home-agent and  which is  
> also most appropriate for mobile nodes, i.e. some other than a  
> mobility-jack-up solution.

Well, yes, if you are going to build a scalable architecture, it has  
to scale with the type of devices that Internet plans to deploy in the  
coming decade. And we all know mobile phones will be ubiquitous.

Dino

>
> Heiner
>
>
> In einer eMail vom 26.11.2009 00:13:54 Westeuropäische Normalzeit  
> schreibt [email-masked]: