Subject: Re: [rrg] Scalable Internet

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 04:28:35 EST

In einer eMail vom 19.11.2009 07:39:18 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

actually  I think the ID doesn't have to be globally unique. It's
convenient if it is  (today), but it need not be globally unique.

It would be useful to get to some destination user by knowing his globally  
unique identitfier plus the (regional) scope of his location, in case the  
precise location is not known. I know this is not currently available  
technology, but think about it. (it might help searching for the right namespace  
for locators:-)
 
Heiner

---

From: Dae Young KIM <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:32:02 +0900

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:28 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  In einer eMail vom 19.11.2009 07:39:18 Westeuropäische Normalzeit
> schreibt [email-masked]:
>
>  It would be useful to get to some destination user by knowing his
> globally unique identitfier plus the (regional) scope of his location, in
> case the precise location is not known. I know this is not currently
> available technology, but think about it. (it might help searching for the
> right namespace for locators:-)
>

I think not, I'm afraid. if you already have a regional scope information,
the identifier can be local to (unique only within) the very region, and
still reaching to the destination will work without a problem. So, global
uniqueness of identifier is not a necessity.

Having said that, however, it may still be beneficial to have identifiers
global for other reasons, if it can be achieve with not too much pain.
Though not a necessity, such a property may be a very useful asset.

-- 
Regards,

DY
http://cnu.kr/~dykim