Subject: [rrg] List of critiques v2

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:16:19 +1100

Here is an updated version of my unofficial guided to the critiques.
The changes are:

  Correction about nature of the critique K. Sriram provided of his
  "3. Enhanced Efficiency ..." proposal.

  Correction to my description of what Brian Carpenter wrote about ILNP.

  Javier posted an updated version of his rev 2 critique of Name Based
  Sockets.

  I wrote a critique of LISP and Noel wrote to the list disagreeing with
  aspects of it - so there is a list discussion of this.

  I chose to send the LISP critique to the list directly rather than run
  it past the LISP team to check for misunderstandings.  This was partly
  because I am confident of my understanding and mainly because I promised
  to contribute to a LISP critique sooner rather than later.

  I will respond to Noel soon.  I think it is good to debate a draft
  critique.  I was expecting many other people to write critiques of LISP
  but if mine is the only one, I will try to improve it according to
  whatever people suggest.

    - Robin

I received some help from Jaunjo and hope to draft a critique of TIDR
by Friday and send it to him so he can about things I may not understand.

I intend to write something about RANGER in the next week or so.

The ILNP critique is potentially to be extended based on Lixia's and my concerns
about multiple DNS lookups.  I need to spend more time thinking about this
before contributing further to this debate.

I will work on a detailed critique of Name Based Sockets, but that will probably
take me a week or so to complete.

Christian Vogt is busy with paying work but plans to write a critique of Ivip.
This would be separate from the one Lixia wrote - and I guess it will take some
time, like a week or two, to complete.

We plan to send first drafts to each other and to talk by phone to clear up
any misunderstandings.

This is in alphabetical order as in:

 http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/RoutingResearchGroup

 1. 2-phased mapping

      Lixia wrote a note that this was too incomplete to be considered
      by the RRG:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05695.html

      Wei Zhang responded:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05713.html

 2. Aggregation with Increasing Scopes:

      Beichuan Zhang and Lan Wang wrote a critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05693.html

 3. Enhanced Efficiency of Mapping Distribution Protocols

      K. Sriram collated into one document on-list comments by Dino
      Farinacci and Brian Carpenter:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05694.html

      Lixia offered to "rewrite it in a more comprehensible way" later.

 4. GLI-Split

      Sun Letong wrote an initial critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05687.html

      Michael Menth responded:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05704.html

      and there were further messages I have not listed.

      Sun Letong wrote a revised critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05716.html

 5. hIPv4

      (None yet.)

 6. ILNP

      Joel Halpern and Yakov Rekhter wrote a critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05624.html

      Several people including myself contributed to this on-list and
      privately.  Not these concerns were expressed in the final text.

      Lixia raised a concern of about circular dependency, based on
      something I had written earlier:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05677.html
         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05691.html

      Tony Li responded:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05679.html

      Joel responded:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05681.html
         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05712.html

      Brian Carpenter rejected Lixia's concern about circular dependencies:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05715.html

 7. Ivip

      Lixia's critique is:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05697.html

      Mohamed Boucadair commented on Ivip-arch-03, but this is not for the
      RRG report:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05661.html

      I have replied to some of these on-list and hope to respond to the
      rest within a few days.

      Christian plans a critique, but this will be separate from the one
      Lixia wrote for the RRG report.

 8. LMS

      Letong Sun wrote a critique of the LMS, which he helped design:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05687.html

      To me this appears to be a critical analysis, listing challenges,
      not just a restatement of what is good about it.

      Lixia commented on it:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05698.html

      and Letong replied:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05705.html

 9. LISP

      I posted a critique to the list.  The shorter one fits the 500 word
      limit and contains all the critical points - it has less contextual
      and moderating material.

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05722.html

      Noel disagreed with many aspects of it:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05725.html

      so we will discuss this on list and I may write a revised version
      of the 497 word version.

10. Mapping system based on Compact Routing

      (None yet.)

11. Name-Based Sockets

      Javier Ubillos wrote an initial critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05663.html

      I intend to write a critique, but it will take a week or so.

      Javier wrote a revised critique (revision 2):

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05709.html

      and then an updated version of this:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05723.html

12. Name Overlay(NOL)

      Yangyang Wang wrote a critique of his own proposal:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05658.html

      To me this appears to be a critical analysis, listing challenges,
      not just a restatement of what is good about it.

13. RANGI

      Paul Francis wrote a critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05680.html

      Lixia added two things to it and there were quite a few messages
      from several people, which I won't list here.

14. RANGER

      I plan to write a critique, but it will take me a week or so.			

15. TIDR

      I am preparing a critique and hope to post it to the list by Monday.