Subject: [rrg] Late proposal addition: RANGER

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:39:11 -0800

Hi all,

Some of you may have noticed that Fred Templin's RANGER proposal has 
been noticeably absent from our document.  Fred has been working on this 
quite vocally since the earliest days of this work and to exclude his 
proposal would leave out a notable component in our discussions.

Through a series of miscommunications, the summary was not presented by 
the official deadline.  As a result, the chairs have decided to grant 
RANGER an exception.  The attached summary will be included in the document.

Regards,
Lixia & Tony

proposal:
---------
Routing and Addressing in Next-Generation EnteRprises (RANGER)

key idea:
---------
RANGER is a locator-identifier separation approach that uses IP-in-IP
encapsulation to connect edge networks across transit networks such
as the global Internet. End systems use endpoint interface identifier
(EID) addresses that may be routable within edge networks but do not
appear in transit network routing tables. EID to Routing Locator (RLOC)
address bindings are instead maintained in mapping tables and also
cached in default router FIBs (i.e., very much the same as for the
global DNS and its associated caching resolvers). RANGER enterprise
networks are organized in a recursive hierarchy with default mappers
connecting lower layers to the next higher layer in the hierarchy.
Default mappers forward initial packets and push mapping information
to lower-tier routers and end systems through secure redirection.

RANGER is an architectural framework derived from the Intra-Site
Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP).

gains:
------
- provides scalable routing system alternative in instances where
   dynamic routing protocols are impractical
- naturally supports a recursively-nested "network-of-networks"
   (or, "enterprise-within-enterprise") hierarchy
- uses asymmetric securing mechanisms (i.e., secure neighbor
   discovery) to secure router discovery and the redirection
   mechanism
- can quickly detect path failures and pick alternate routes
- naturally supports provider-independent addressing
- support for site multihoming and traffic engineering
- ingress filtering for multi-homed sites
- mobility-agile through explicit cache invalidation (much more
   reactive than DynDns)
- supports neighbor discovery and neighbor unreachability
   detection over tunnels
- no changes to end systems
- no changes to most routers
- supports IPv6 transition
- compatible with true identity/locator split mechansims such
   as HIP (i.e., packets contain HIP HIT as end system identifier,
   IPv6 address as endpoint Interface iDentifier (EID) in inner IP
   header and IPv4 address as Routing LOCator (RLOC) in outer
   IP header)
- prototype code available

costs:
------
- new code needed in enterprise border routers
- locator/path liveness detection using RFC4861 neighbor
   unreachability detection (i.e., extra control messages,
   but data-driven)

full documentation:
-------------------
draft-templin-ranger-09.txt (RANGER Architecture)
draft-russert-rangers-01.txt (RANGER Scenarios)
draft-templin-intarea-vet-06.txt (Virtual Enterprise Traversal)
draft-templin-intarea-seal-08.txt (Subnetwork Encapsulation and 
Adaptation Layer)
RFC5214 (Intra-site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol - IETF RFC)
RFC4214 (Intra-site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol - IETF RFC)