Subject: Re: [rrg] Ivip exemplifies Noel's support for "Adventurous Practical Design"

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:42:00 -0500 (EST)

> From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>

    >> In a system which is designed for a very long lifetime, design for the
    >> outer envelope of technology today - because tomorrow's will be a lot
    >> more capable.

    > I entirely agree with you on this.  I will be tempted to cite it as:
    > ...
    > If there is a practical way of getting mapping in real-time to local

    > full-database query servers

Hardware improvements often cannot beat _scaling_ issues (such as keeping up
with growth in the size of a full database).

I mean, scaling issues are the reason we are here now, right?

I was talking about relying on more capable hardware in pushing for more
advanced _functionality_ - the example that brought up the above was doing
crypto in portable devices.

	Noel

---

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:15:23 +1100

Hi Noel,

>> full-database query servers

then there would be no need to do a lot of the complex things which
burden LISP ITRs and ETRs.

> crypto in portable devices.

I am talking about a specific approach to getting real-time mapping
to local full database query servers:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whittle-ivip-fpr-00

Past and current LISP development seems to be predicated on the
belief that this, or anything like it, is and will remain impossible.

None of the LISP team has ever written why this is impossible, except
in the most general terms, as you just did - which is not a response
to this specific suggestion.

 - Robin