Subject: [rrg] List of critiques so far

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:07:58 +1100

Here is my attempt to list the state of the 500 word critiques for
the RRG report.

  - Robin

I should have a critique of LISP soon.  I am working on a TIDR critique, but am
waiting to hear from Jaunjo about things I may not understand.

I intend to write something about RANGER in the next week or so.

The ILNP critique is potentially to be extended based on Lixia's and my concerns
about multiple DNS lookups.  I need to spend more time thinking about this
before contributing further to this debate.

I will work on a detailed critique of Name Based Sockets, but that will probably
take me a week or so to complete.

Christian Vogt is busy with paying work but plans to write a critique of Ivip.
This would be separate from the one Lixia wrote - and I guess it will take some
time, like a week or two, to complete.

This is in alphabetical order as in:

 http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/RoutingResearchGroup

 1. 2-phased mapping

      Lixia wrote a note that this was too incomplete to be considered
      by the RRG:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05695.html

      Wei Zhang responded:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05713.html

 2. Aggregation with Increasing Scopes:

      Beichuan Zhang and Lan Wang wrote a critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05693.html

 3. Enhanced Efficiency of Mapping Distribution Protocols

      K. Sriram wrote a critique of his own proposal - basically a
      response to on-list comments by Dino Farinacci and Brian Carpenter:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05694.html

      Lixia offered to "rewrite it in a more comprehensible way" later.

 4. GLI-Split

      Sun Letong wrote an initial critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05687.html

      Michael Menth responded:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05704.html

      and there were further messages I have not listed.

      Sun Letong wrote a revised critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05716.html

 5. hIPv4

      (None yet.)

 6. ILNP

      Joel Halpern and Yakov Rekhter wrote a critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05624.html

      Several people including myself contributed to this on-list and
      privately.  Not these concerns were expressed in the final text.

      Lixia raised a concern of about circular dependency, based on
      something I had written earlier:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05677.html
         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05691.html

      Tony Li responded:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05679.html

      Joel responded:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05681.html
         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05712.html

      Brian Carpenter supported Lixia's concern:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05715.html

 7. Ivip

      Lixia's critique is:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05697.html

      Mohamed Boucadair commented on Ivip-arch-03, but this is not for the
      RRG report:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05661.html

      I have replied to some of these on-list and hope to respond to the
      rest within a few days.

      Christian plans a critique, but this will be separate from the one
      Lixia wrote for the RRG report.

 8. LMS

      Sun Letong wrote a critique of the LMS, which he helped design:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05687.html

      To me this appears to be a critical analysis, listing challenges,
      not just a restatement of what is good about it.

      Lixia commented on it:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05698.html

      and Sun replied:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05705.html

 9. LISP

      I am preparing a critique.

10. Mapping system based on Compact Routing

      (None yet.)

11. Name-Based Sockets

      Javier Ubillos wrote an initial critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05663.html

      I intend to write a critique, but it will take a week or so.

      Javier wrote an revised critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05709.html

12. Name Overlay(NOL)

      Yangyang Wang wrote a critique of his own proposal:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05658.html

      To me this appears to be a critical analysis, listing challenges,
      not just a restatement of what is good about it.

13. RANGI

      Paul Francis wrote a critique:

         http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05680.html

      Lixia added two things to it and there were quite a few messages
      from several people, which I won't list here.

14. RANGER

      I plan to write a critique, but it will take me a week or so.			

15. TIDR

      I am preparing a critique.

---

From: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:29:34 -0500

Robin:

Thanks for putting together the list. 
Just a bit of clarification.
What I did was to produce a _verbatim_ list of critical comments 
that I received on the RRG list (keeping it within 500 words).
It was not "a response to on-list comments."
Lixia was hoping to reword and add her critique to it.
She was of course very busy writing several critiques. 
In the interest of meeting the deadline, she suggested to me
Monday night to forward what I gave her to the RRG list.

Sriram