Subject: Re: [rrg] Embedding geo info in PA addresses=>A compromise between geo-aggreg...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:08:10 EST

In einer eMail vom 14.01.2010 08:46:31 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

I like  this idea. Embedding GEO info in the PA (Provider-Aggregatable)
addresses  will not conflict with the ISP economics. 
Right.And why should it? Also: Why should ISPs be so fond of the  
non-routable (only prefix-summarizable) IP addresses and consider them as the  
fundament of their economics? BTW: the readdressing discussion never tabled  the 
argument that ISPs insisted on unchanged IP addresses - for  economic/image 
reasons.
Imho, it is a phantom-killer argument.

Besides,  it can be used
to facilitate location-awareness based services, e.g.,  achieving traffic
(especially P2P traffic) localization by allowing hosts  to obtain
information from the nearest ones of all available  peers.
It would enable the well-scoped ANYWHERE addressing, i.e. the search of the 
 present location - e.g. of a HIT, name, E164 (no enum mapping),...
I am sure there will be plenty new services.

This not  only
improves the user experience, but also saves the providers'  bandwidth
resource. Imagine the future Internet will be information  centric, rather
than node centric, the location-awareness services will  become much more
popular. The IPv6 address provides us a possibility of  embedding GEO info 
in
it since it has enough bits.

In fact, the IPv6  PA address with GEO info embedded is used as locator in
the initial version  of my RANGI proposal. For more details, please see the
following discuss  thread:
_http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05590.html_ 
(http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05590.html) 

Why I am in favor of my TARA-locator: There is always the  
bidirectional/bijective mapping between geographical coordinates and the  TARA-locator. 
However by means of the TARA-locator faster forwarding (fast  table-offsets) are 
enabled to speed up forwarding substantially.The nearer to  the sender the 
TARA-locator is formed and added to the packet the more hops can  be done 
fastest.
 
Heiner

Best  wishes,
Xiaohu