Subject: [rrg] Ivip-fpr - new ID for simpler, faster and more robust fast-push mapping distribution

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:14:42 +1100

Ivip "Fast Payload Replication" (FPR):

   For real-time mapping distribution to hundreds of
   thousands of QSDs (full database query servers) in
   ISP and larger end-user networks.

Ivip is intended to have no single point of failure and to be
suitable for operation by a number of organisations who cooperate,
but who may also be competing.

I have made progress designing the fast-push system.  This new ID:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whittle-ivip-fpr

will enable me to simplify draft-whittle-ivip-db-fast-push to match.
 Later I will update Ivip-arch too.

I removed the need for complex "Launch" servers and replaced them
with fully meshed level 0 Replicators.  The code for these
Replicators will be identical to that for all the other Replicators.

This will be simpler, faster and more robust.  The Launch servers
involved two or three seconds of pipelined processing.  The new
arrangement is totally asynchronous, involves insignificant delay (no
pipelined stages) and does not require synchronisation between the
RUAS systems which generate the payloads of mapping information.
Also, I anticipate a jumboframe system when the DFZ supports ~9kbyte
MTUs.

I have added "Missing Payload Servers" (MSPs).  An MSP will receive
streams from Replicators and compare notes with other MSPs near and
far.  Generally, any payloads they miss out on will be quickly
replaced by ones they get from another MSP.

QSDs will query one or more of these MSPs to get any payloads they
miss.  Links between MSPes and between MSPes and QSDs will be over
TCP - probably HTTP or HTTPS.

    - Robin