Subject: [rrg] Analyzing the separation work for scalable routing

From: Charrie Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 22:10:49 +0800

Hello all,
    I recently wrote a brief analysis of the separation concerns, including:

    (1) the meaing of the semantics overloaded in the IP address;
    (2) the responsibility of hosts vs. routers in the separation context;
    (3) current techniques for the incorporation of the separation
to the routing system, the mapping mechanism design; and at last a brief
review of the deployement requirements on the separtion work.

    Some conclusions: to meet different needs of hosts and routers we should
do two-plane separations, here I approve GLI split for its basic thoughts.
    New elements should be introduced if existed elements are too clumsy
and reluctant to change. New services can get profit and existed elements
can benefit from the services immediately. This can conform to an economic
model.

    The paper is mainly to provide some considerations for people to
think the separation work and the proposals now on the list. Any critiques
and comments are warmly welcomed.

Best wishes,
Letong