Subject: Requirement Clarification ....

From: Ram Gopal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 06:39:03 -0600

Hello all,

I have some problem in understanding the requirement document , can u
clarify the following items,
please refer to  requirements documents.

Refer Section 1.2 Terminology:
------------------------------
Pool Elements: Both client or  Server providing services....

I think my understanding is only server provides service and no one intiate
a call with client.

Refer Section 2.2 .  Rserpool protocol overview
------------------------------------------------
In the ending of first paragraph there is some thing about local host and
remote host.
What is local and remote host ?

Refer Figure 2.1
----------------
What is the difference between PU and "Other Clients" ... is the PU client
for PE....?

Refer Section 7:Security aspects
--------------------------------
It should be possible that the name resolution is encrypted.

What exactly this mean ?

Refer Section 7: Security aspects
---------------------------------
It should be possible to encrypt the communication between the
client and the host?

Does host here refers to a pool element ?

Regards
Ramg

---

From: Michael Tüxen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:54:45 +0100

Dear Ram,
see my comments below.
Sorry for the delay.
Best regards
Michael

>Refer Section 1.2 Terminology:
That is correct, only servers will be in a server pool, but they can also
act as
a client. But it is better to take the notion client out of it.
>Refer Section 2.2 .  Rserpool protocol overview
If a host is running an ENRP server, this server will answer request from
local
client (clients running on the same host) and clients running on other hosts
(remote hosts)
>Refer Figure 2.1
The PU use the ENRP/ASAP stack. Other clients are not RSerPool aware and
can only access the PE via a proxy.
>Refer Section 7:Security aspects
The packets used for name resolution are encrypted. If you
capture them, you should not be able to see what name was resolved.
>Refer Section 7: Security aspects
It is between the PU and the PE.
>Ramg
In the next version  we will use only PE and PU
--
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Qiaobing Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:17:50 -0600

Ram,

Sorry for not responding to you questions earlier... There was an
off-line thread asking for some clarification to the document similar to
yours and I guess some of our co-authors (including myself) might have
thought they were answering the same list of questions without realizing
the answers were not cc'ed to the list..

regards,
-Qiaobing

> Refer Section 1.2 Terminology:

The wording used here may not be completely accurate and need to be
polished, as you have noted, but the idea is that a PE can also behave
at some point of time as a client requesting services from servers
outside the pool. The important thing is that rserpool is meant to be a
peer-to-peer solution.

> Refer Section 2.2 .  Rserpool protocol overview

"local host" here means the host on which the ENRP server itself resides
and "remote host" = any other hosts...

> Refer Figure 2.1

"Other clients" are those who do not support Rserpool, e.g., legacy
applications..

> Refer Section 7:Security aspects

Details need to be worked out by the WG, but the idea is to prevent your
name translation query/response from being picked up by unauthorized
third party tapping on your network. Sending them in plain text
certainly won't meet this goal.

> Refer Section 7: Security aspects

Good point. This should be clarified as "... the communication between a
PU and a PE"

---

From: "Randall R. Stewart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:29:52 -0600

Ram:

I think Qiaobing got all of these issues :)

I think the big thing to remember here is that
the document you are looking at is about to have
a major set of clearifications put into it.. This
will (I hope) make things a little clearer for all..

Hopefully all of your items will be addressed in
the next revision.

R

--
Randall R. Stewart
[email-masked] or [email-masked]
815-342-5222 (cell) 815-477-2127 (work)