Subject: You have been added to the RSERPOOL list

From: "L-Soft list server at Nortel IETF (1.8d)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:54:24 -0500

Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:54:24

You have been added to the RSERPOOL mailing list (Remote Server Spooling)
by [email-masked].

Please save this message for future  reference, especially if this is the
first time you subscribe to an  electronic mailing list. If you ever need
to  leave the  list,  you  will find  the  necessary instructions  below.
Perhaps  more importantly,  saving a  copy of  this message  (and of  all
future subscription notices  from other mailing lists) in  a special mail
folder will give you instant access to the list of mailing lists that you
are subscribed  to. This may  prove very useful the  next time you  go on
vacation and  need to leave  the lists temporarily so  as not to  fill up
your  mailbox while  you  are away!  You should  also  save the  "welcome
messages" from the  list owners that you will  occasionally receive after
subscribing to a new list.

To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the list,
just send  mail to [email-masked]. This  is called
"sending mail to the list", because you send mail to a single address and
LISTSERV  makes copies  for  all  the people  who  have subscribed.  This
address ([email-masked]) is  also called the "list
address". You must never  try to send any command to  that address, as it
would be distributed to all the  people who have subscribed. All commands
must       be      sent       to       the      "LISTSERV       address",
[email-masked]. It is very important to understand
the difference  between the two,  but fortunately it is  not complicated.
The LISTSERV address is like a FAX number that connects you to a machine,
whereas the list address is like a  normal voice line connecting you to a
person. If you make a mistake and  dial the FAX number when you wanted to
talk to someone on the phone, you  will quickly realize that you used the
wrong number and call again. No harm will have been done. If on the other
hand you accidentally make your FAX call someone's voice line, the person
receiving the  call will be  inconvenienced, especially if your  FAX then
re-dials  every 5  minutes. The  fact  that most  people will  eventually
connect the FAX machine to the voice  line to allow the FAX to go through
and make the  calls stop does not  mean that you should  continue to send
FAXes to  the voice number.  People would just get  mad at you.  It works
pretty much the same way with mailing lists, with the difference that you
are  calling hundreds  or  thousands  of people  at  the  same time,  and
consequently  you  can  expect a  lot  of  people  to  get upset  if  you
consistently send commands to the list address.

You may  leave the list  at any time by  sending a "SIGNOFF  RSERPOOL" or
"UNSUBSCRIBE RSERPOOL"  command to [email-masked].
You can  also tell  LISTSERV how you  want it to  confirm the  receipt of
messages you  send to the list.  If you do  not trust the system,  send a
"SET RSERPOOL  REPRO" command and LISTSERV  will send you a  copy of your
own messages,  so that you can  see that the message  was distributed and
did not get damaged  on the way. After a while you may  find that this is
getting annoying, especially if your mail  program does not tell you that
the message  is from you  when it informs you  that new mail  has arrived
from RSERPOOL. If you send a "SET RSERPOOL ACK NOREPRO" command, LISTSERV
will mail you a short  acknowledgement instead, which will look different
in  your  mailbox  directory.  With  most mail  programs  you  will  know
immediately that this is an  acknowledgement you can read later. Finally,
you can  turn off  acknowledgements completely  with "SET  RSERPOOL NOACK
NOREPRO".

Following  instructions from  the list  owner, your  subscription options
have been set to "NOFILES REPRO" rather than the usual LISTSERV defaults.
For more information about subscription  options, send a "QUERY RSERPOOL"
command to [email-masked].

Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived. You can get a
list  of the  available  archive  files by  sending  an "INDEX  RSERPOOL"
command  to  [email-masked].  You can  then  order
these files  with a "GET  RSERPOOL LOGxxxx" command, or  using LISTSERV's
database  search facilities.  Send an  "INFO DATABASE"  command for  more
information on the latter.

This  list is  available  in digest  form.  If you  wish  to receive  the
digested  version of  the  postings,  just issue  a  SET RSERPOOL  DIGEST
command.

Please note that  it is presently possible for other  people to determine
that  you are  signed up  to the  list through  the use  of the  "REVIEW"
command,  which  returns   the  e-mail  address  and  name   of  all  the
subscribers. If  you do not  want your name to  be visible, just  issue a
"SET RSERPOOL CONCEAL" command.

More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the  LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  REFCARD"
command to [email-masked].