Subject: [Rserpool] A brief summary of the editors' meeting held on 3/18

From: Qiaobing Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:57:32 -0600

Hi, all,

This is a brief summary of the face to face editor's meeting we had at
the last IETF meeting. As Randy has indicated, full technical
descriptions of the discussion will be present in the upcoming revision
of the drafts.

-- Purpose of the meeting

The meeting was called to work out the details of implementing non-SCTP
transport support. The decision of supporting non-SCTP transports was
made at the SLC IETF meeting but we started to make the changes we
realized that there were a number of small design details that need to
be discussed. So the impromptu editor's meeting was called.

-- Major discussion points

 * Allow UDP, TCP, and other non-SCTP protocol to carry user data from a
PU to PE

 * Since different user data transport protocols have different
capabilities (e.g., whether or not capable of reachability monitoring,
whether or not capable of data reliability, data retrieval, etc.), ASAP
will need to present RSERPOOL services to the upper layer differently.
We agree that some kind of service mapping or packaging will be defined
for different user data transports. The details of this will be
presented in new drafts soon.

 * Details (e.g., rules, restrictions, etc.) on how a PE with non-SCTP
user data transport should register with ENRP namespace and how a PU
should use that information.

 * The need to update the architecture draft to show the support of
non-SCTP user data transports.

 * start to work on the applicability statement draft.

-- Conclusion of the meeting

The meeting was very productive and clarified a lot of technical
details. We will generate revisions to the base protocols (ENRP and
ASAP) and the arch draft and new drafts will be submitted to describe
the service interface and mapping issues. These revision/new drafts will
be ready for review before the upcoming interim meeting that Maureen is
setting up.

-Qiaobing

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool

---

From: Qiaobing Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:57:32 -0600

Hi, all,

-Qiaobing