Subject: [Rserpool] how to use multicast in Rserpool?

From: Qiaobing Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:11:39 -0500

Hi, all,

The original Rserpool (i.e. DDP) uses IP multicast almost exclusively
for all inter-ENRP server communications. Now we are working towards
expanding the design to operate in both multicast and non-multicast
environments. 

After some thoughts, I think now I know basically how to make Rserpool
work in a unicast-only environment. But I start to have trouble to see
how multicast can work for Rserpool. Here are my questions:

 1) With unicast we know how to do security. We can use either TLS or
IPsec. But how to do security with multicast for inter-ENRP server
communications? Putting every ENRP servers over IPsec is fine, but what
about TLS? Is there a secured version of IP multicast?

 2) How to identify the ENRP protocol over a multicast channel? The
current thought is to register a well-known multicast channel for
inter-ENRP server communications and let each ENRP server join this
channel to receive ENRP messages. But since everyone can send to this
channel, to assume that everything comes out from this channel is
automatically an ENRP message is a little too optimistic, isn't it? The
original DDP uses an "ugly" magic number to provide some minimal
protection. But is there a better, stronger, and more elegant
alternative?

-Qiaobing

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool