Subject: [Rserpool] Message channel issues

From: "Randall Stewart (cisco)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 11:05:08 -0600

Hi all:

I was asked to summarize the message channel issue and put out
one of the solutions (and one other issue) we discussed on yesterdays 
conference call.

-------------------------
Issue #1
-------------------------
The basic issue is this:

1) A PE may register a Control channel, Data Channel or Both (in a combined
    form or seperate).
2) If the PE register's a Data channel and a control channel 
(non-combined) then
    how does the PE make the association between the PU talking on the two
    differerent channels?

Suppose The PU associates with the Data Channel of a PE... Then at
some point decides to use the Control Channel.. for the PE a message
arrives on the Control channel and there is no tie back to the conversation
on the data channel?

Or suppose the control channel is first associated with, followed by
the data channel.. how does the PE make the connection..

One of the proposed solutions we discussed and thought worth considering 
(to make
sure we have covered all the bases) is:

1) Require that if a PE has both a control and data channel that the PU 
ALWAYs associate
    to the Control channel and send a Bussiness card specifying itself.

2) The business card will need to be changed so that we can identify 
that this is a PU only
     address.

3) The PU would need to supply all of the addresses to the PE for its 
side of the Data channel so
     if it has two communication endpoints up (SCTP/control and TCP/data 
for example) it would place
     in its B-C a indication of the TCP channel id (port/ip address etc) 
and mark it as "Data channel
     only, will not accept connections". The SCTP information could be 
deduced from the
     association.

With this proposal we would eliminate the new message that was just 
added. Expand the
types that was just added to asap (for TCP and SCTP endpoints) and 
finally enhance the
wording of the business card and require that ... if a Control channel 
exists the PU MUST
connect and pass its B-C... or something like that.

---------------
Issue #2
---------------

The basic issue:

There are many possiblities of combinations of Data and Control 
channels.. do we
need to have some sort of restrictions on these... here is a table I have
put together showing the possibilites

Control Channel Type  |             Data Channel Type
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
  SCTP                           |               SCTP - Multiplexed - 
same association
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
  SCTP                           |               SCTP - Seperate assocaition
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
  SCTP                           |              TCP
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
  SCTP                           |               UDP
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
  TCP                             |               SCTP
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
  TCP                             |               TCP - Seperate connection
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
  TCP                             |                TCP - Multiplexed - 
same connection
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
  TCP                             |               UDP
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
 
So we basically have eight different combinations.. if I have gotten 
them all
(remember UDP is not allowed for the control channel)...

So the question is.. should some limitations be placed on the
allowable combinations?

Thanks

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
ITD
Cisco Systems Inc.
[email-masked] 815-342-5222(cell) or 815-477-2127(office)

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool