Subject: [Rserpool] Finally I am implementing :-D

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 09:35:44 -0400

Hi all:

I am finally implementing rserpool again :-D

And I have already came across a few issues I have
with the spec :->

In  the common parameters we have-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
     0                   1                   2                   3
     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |    Param Type = 0x6           |      Length = 0x8             |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |  Policy=0x4   |                 Weight                        |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-------------------------------+

    Load: 24 bits (signed integer)

    (TBD)

--------------------------------------------------------------

And at least 2 other instances of a 24 bit signed integer...

We obviously were concerned about making a nice 32 bit aligned
parameter when we err.. I wrote this document... but this really
makes no sense.. All machines are either 32 or 64 bit aligned (yes
I remember the 16 and 8 bit aligned ones... but lets not
go back there :-D).. So I propose we change all instances of
24 bit numbers (there may be more I have only gotten to the policy's
in my header file building) into 32 bit numbers.. and if we need
to leave the 3 bytes as "reserved"...

That way we get:

a) 32 bit alignment of the parameter
and
b) Easy, implementation wise, 32 bit access of the actual value..

Of course we waste 3 bytes.. but if we are really worried about
waste then we would not even use a TLV format and hard code
things :-D

Unless I hear objections from y'all.. I will make the above change
for the next pass...

ohh.. thats another thing... I know Thomas as started working on
a socket api.. we probably need to get these structures in that
(if there not already there).. I will have to go dig around and
look after I get online again (I am writting this offline :-D)...

R

-- 
Randall Stewart
803-345-0369 <or> 815-342-5222(cell)

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool