Subject: [RSN] RL2N charter comments

From: Zach Shelby <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:12:22 +0200

Hi all,

In my opinion the proposed RL2N charter is already pretty good, here is 
some support from our experience.

First I would like to stress the same as JP and Phil. There is a huge 
need for standardized IP WSN routing in well-scoped domains *now*, 
*today*, to solve *real problems*. For example here in Finland we are 
already rolling out fairly large 6lowpan (over 1000 node) networks in 
the industrial and building automation domains. Our direct 6lowpan node 
volume, will be well over 25k nodes in 2008. ISA100 helps next year, but 
for many applications a simpler 6lowpan + rl2n routing solution would be 
more suitable without full ISA100. Of course I assume ISA100 would apply 
  the routing solution from rl2n eventually?

Almost all customers love the IP + 802.15.4 concept. But the biggest 
concern they still have is a lack of a standard routing technique. So 
rl2n is solving an acute problem for deploying IP-based wireless sensor 
networks.

I think the charter text is good, and scoping to these 3 areas really 
keeps it focused. One comment:

- The relationship with 6lowpan and SP100 could be explicit in the 
charter text (not just work-items)?

Waiting to hear how the meeting in Boston went.... JP?

- Zach

-- 
Zach Shelby | CTO | +358 40 7796297
Sensinode Ltd.   www.sensinode.com

_______________________________________________
RSN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rsn

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 18:17:48 -0500

Hi Zach,

> From: Zach Shelby <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:12:22 +0200
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [RSN] RL2N charter comments
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> volume, will be well over 25k nodes in 2008.

Thanks for the feed-back.

ISA100 helps next year, but
>   the routing solution from rl2n eventually?

The IETF cannot impose the solution other SDOs/Industrial Alliances will
choose of course. We are specifying IP-based solution.

> rl2n is solving an acute problem for deploying IP-based wireless sensor

Thanks for your support, your participation is very welcome.

> charter text (not just work-items)?

Work items are quite specific, and indeed we do plan to try to establish
some liaisons with SP100.

> Waiting to hear how the meeting in Boston went.... JP?

The meeting was indeed very productive and fruitful. I'll post the minutes
soon along with the proposed new WG charter and Milestones.

Thanks.

JP.