Subject: RE: RFC 2961 - detectoin of out-of-order msg

From: "Feng, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:18:32 -0700

I agree the check for duplicate message ID should be there. I meant the
check and subsequent action for out-of-order message ID could be skipped.

As for duplicate message ID, since there could be multiple receivers, each
receiver would not know if it has received a message ID which has been used
by other receivers. It is really up to the sender to ensure that.

Thanks.

Mark

>> The other work-around is not to do the check. If the check is not done,
the
>> result is no worse than the normal RSVP (RFC 2205), which does not have
such
>> mechanism in place, but rely on soft-state instead. The RFC 2961 mentions
>> the receiver "should" do it; so it is not a "must":-).
>>

>Don't like it. :-) Remember you must not send the same msg-id for two
>different messages. Without checking, it would be tough to achieve this.

>- Ping

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:39:34 -0700

> check and subsequent action for out-of-order message ID could be skipped.

Mark,

Out-of-order message ID checking must be done, otherwise, I fear bad
things will happen due to route changes.

> by other receivers. It is really up to the sender to ensure that.

Receivers do know that. At a receiving node, the message-id's that are
arrived from a previous/next hop on a particular interface must be
unique and increasing. Only looking at the msg-id itself is not enough.

- Ping