Subject: NULL Object

From: Adithya Bhat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:32:58 +0530

Hi *,

In  RFC 2205, Section 3.1.2 there is  a reference  to a NULL object
which says

                    "A NULL object has a Class-Num of zero, and its
C-Type
                   is ignored.  Its length must be at least 4, but can
                   be any multiple of 4.  A NULL object may appear
                   anywhere in a sequence of objects, and its contents
                   will be ignored by the receiver."

If the content of this Object is to be ignored, can somebody explain me
the importance of this Object ?

Thanks in advance,

Adithya

---

From: Jack Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:55:57 -0400

> the importance of this Object ?

It allows an implementation to "delete" an object from a message
by simply replacing the Class-Num with 0.  This is usually less
expensive than actually reconstructing the packet.