Subject: Protocol Action: Traffic Flow Measurement: Meter MIB to Proposed Standard

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:42:39 +1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

--- Begin Forwarded Message ---

To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Subject: Protocol Action: Traffic Flow Measurement:  Meter MIB to
	 Proposed Standard
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:30:05 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Traffic Flow Measurement:
Meter MIB' <draft-ietf-rtfm-meter-mib-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document obsoletes RFC2064, currently an Experimental RFC.

In the same action, the IESG approved publication of:

 o RTFM: Applicability Statement
   <draft-ietf-rtfm-applicability-statement-04.txt> as an Informational
   RFC. 

 o Traffic Flow Measurement: Architecture
   <draft-ietf-rtfm-architecture-08.txt> as an Informational RFC. This
   document obsoletes RFC2063, currently an Experimental RFC.

 o SRL: A Language for Describing Traffic Flows and Specifying Actions
   for Flow Groups <draft-ietf-rtfm-ruleset-language-07.txt> as an
   Informational RFC.

 o RTFM Working Group - New Attributes for Traffic Flow Measurement
   <draft-ietf-rtfm-new-traffic-flow-09.txt> as an Experimental RFC.

These documents are the product of the Realtime Traffic Flow
Measurement Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner
and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
 The RTFM MIB provides mechanisms for defining traffic flows seen at a
 monitoring point such as a router for purposes of collecting accounting
 information.  Flows can be defined in a general fashion.  Accounting is
 done on a per-packet basis using programs ("rule sets") written in an
 opcode-level specialized language, or, alternatively, in SRL, a higher
 level domain-specific language that compiles into RTFM opcodes.  The rule
 sets support selective accounting and data reduction.  The architecture
 includes mechanisms for obtaining consistent accounting snapshots within a
 router, and for switching to more coarse-grained accounting during periods
 of excessive accounting load.

Working Group Summary

 There is good working group consensus for the document set.  The documents
 reflect a number of Last Call comments.

Protocol Quality

 The documents were reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner
 and Vern Paxson.  There are several implementations.

Note to RFC Editor:

The IESG requests the following changes prior to publication:

o In draft-ietf-rtfm-architecture-08.txt, please fix typo in the first word of:
  dadvantage or cause mischief (e.g. denial of service) by subverting

o In draft-ietf-rtfm-ruleset-language-07.txt, delete the 'x' following
  the '\' in:

     be preceded by a backslash, i.e. \x; in an SRL define produces ; in the

o In draft-ietf-rtfm-new-traffic-flow-09.txt, change "\eg" to "e.g.," in

	a. of a flow (\eg last packet size, last packet arrival time).

      b. the flow (\eg inter-arrival times, short-term traffic rates).

o In draft-ietf-rtfm-meter-mib-10.txt, change "uleSet" to "RuleSet" in:

	row, nor the contents of the associated uleSet.  Any attempt

  and "excute" to "execute" in:

      which rule to excute after this rule's test has failed; details

--- End Forwarded Message ---

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Nevil Brownlee                     Director, Technology Development |
| Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x8941        ITSS, The University of Auckland |
|   FAX: +64 9 373 7021      Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------P