Subject: Minutes from informal IETF-45 meeting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:32:20 +0200

Has anybody written minutes from the informal meeting at Oslo ?

- Marius Clemetsen
--------------------------------------------------------
Marius Clemetsen, Telenor
Instituttveien 23, N-2007 Kjeller
Email: [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:58:53 +1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

> Has anybody written minutes from the informal meeting at Oslo ?

Oops, that one was fairly well down my list of things to get done.
Here they are ..

Cheers, Nevil

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Nevil Brownlee                     Director, Technology Development |
| Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x8941        ITSS, The University of Auckland |
|   FAX: +64 9 373 7021      Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------P

RTFM at the Oslo IETF

Report on the meeting held at luchtime on Wed 14 Jul 99

The WG didn't hold a formal session (all five of our documents are being
considered by IESG now).  We held an informal get-together instead; ten
people showed up, three of them had interesting questions to raise. 

Metering for multicast streams was discussed.  In particular, consider
a packet which reaches a box via one interface, then copies of it leave
from many interfaces.  The RTFM model can only see this as a single
flow, its 'count in one bucket' rule can only count it on a single
output interface.  Clearly we must consider how to extend the model. 

Juergen Quittek (NEC Germany) is considering moving parts of NeTraMet's
Packet Matching Engine into the Unix kernel, and asked whether anyone
else has considered this approach.  No-one had, so Juergen will work
on it.  [There was some discussion on the NeTraMet mailing list
recently about whether the SRL compiler could produce configuration
files for kernel packet filters - clearly there is strong interest in
this topic.  'More general' ways of specifying packets in SRL were also
discussed, in connection with application-level metering; to do this
one would have to extend the RTFM Architecture.]

Georg Carle (GMD, Berlin) commented on the need for a 'burstiness'
measure.  Such a thing would indeed be very useful, but this is very
much a research issue right now! 

NeTraMet 4.3b10 has IPv6 implemented as a PeerType. Juergen Quittek and
Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE NCC) have IPv6 networks, and will test NeTraMet's
v6 features on them. 

Several people asked about metering QoS.  NeTraMet 4.3b9 implemented
the DSCodePoint attribute, which is documented in the 'New Attributes'
INternet Draft.  David Martin volunteered to test this.

[Nevil would very much appreciate feedback from people using
DSCodePoint or IPv6!]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------