Subject: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-rtgwg-bgp-pic-00.txt

From: Ahmed Bashandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 20:20:59 +0200

Hi,

This draft provides an overview of BGP prefix independent convergence
and how it is possible to achieve sub-second and, for certain local
failures, sub-50msec convergence using hierarchical and shared FIB chain
design

The basic idea relies on constructing the forwarding chains such that
the BGP pathlists are shared among the maximum possible number of BGP
prefixes. At the same time, BGP pathlists act as dependents on IGP
prefixes in a hierarchy that allows modifying IGP without impacting BGP.

The draft will be presented in the RTGWG meeting next week

All comments and suggestions are most welcomed

Thanks

Ahmed

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for draft-rtgwg-bgp-pic-00.txt
Date: 	Mon, 1 Oct 2012 07:08:39 -0700
From: 	<[email-masked]>
To: 	<[email-masked]>
CC: 	<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-rtgwg-bgp-pic-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Ahmed Bashandy and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-rtgwg-bgp-pic
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Abstract
Creation date:	 2012-09-28
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 19
URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rtgwg-bgp-pic-00.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rtgwg-bgp-pic
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rtgwg-bgp-pic-00

Abstract:
In the network comprising thousands of iBGP peers exchanging millions
of routes, many routes are reachable via more than one path. Given
the large scaling targets, it is desirable to restore traffic after
failure in a time period that does not depend on the number of BGP
prefixes. In this document we proposed a technique by which traffic
can be re-routed to ECMP or pre-calculated backup paths in a
timeframe that does not depend on the number of BGP prefixes. The
objective is achieved through organizing the forwarding chains in a
hierarchical manner and sharing forwarding elements among the maximum
possible number of routes. The proposed technique achieves prefix
independent convergence while ensuring incremental deployment,
complete transparency and automation, and zero management and
provisioning effort

The IETF Secretariat