Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-rtgwg-enterprise-pa-multihoming-08.txt> (Enterprise Multihoming using Provider-Assigned IPv6 Addresses without Network Prefix Translation: Requirements and Solution) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 06:42:28 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Routing Area Working Group WG
(rtgwg) to consider the following document: - 'Enterprise Multihoming using
Provider-Assigned IPv6 Addresses without
   Network Prefix Translation: Requirements and Solution'
  <draft-ietf-rtgwg-enterprise-pa-multihoming-08.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-06-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Connecting an enterprise site to multiple ISPs using provider-
   assigned addresses is difficult without the use of some form of
   Network Address Translation (NAT).  Much has been written on this
   topic over the last 10 to 15 years, but it still remains a problem
   without a clearly defined or widely implemented solution.  Any
   multihoming solution without NAT requires hosts at the site to have
   addresses from each ISP and to select the egress ISP by selecting a
   source address for outgoing packets.  It also requires routers at the
   site to take into account those source addresses when forwarding
   packets out towards the ISPs.

   This document attempts to define a complete solution to this problem.
   It covers the behavior of routers to forward traffic taking into
   account source address, and it covers the behavior of host to select
   appropriate source addresses.  It also covers any possible role that
   routers might play in providing information to hosts to help them
   select appropriate source addresses.  In the process of exploring
   potential solutions, this document also makes explicit requirements
   for how the solution would be expected to behave from the perspective
   of an enterprise site network administrator.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-enterprise-pa-multihoming/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-enterprise-pa-multihoming/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.