Subject: Re: end user security

From: Sally Hambridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:37:23 PDT

Gents - before we start writing, check out
RFC 2504 - Users' Security Handbook.  If this
doc is incomplete or misses some vital points
then RUN might take that on, but I think the
majority of what's being proposed already exists.

Sally Hambridge
[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Frizzell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:46:02 -0400

I am a little concerned about the responsibility being levied toward the
end users here. As a group, I don't believe they are ultimately
responsible for securing their personal internet connections. If they
were, that would imply that they had the requisite skill sets to manage
their systems, and/or the motiviation to learn these skills. This is
clearly not a viable assumption to make.

For the internet to achieve its maximum inertia, it must be governed by
some basic tenets: ease of use, "hands-free" maintenance, and reliable
connections and security. Some how, some way, providers must account for
the security of their connections, much as a domain's server must
account for the security of it's network hosts. The real question here
becomes "How do we ensure provider guidelines/standardization/education
of security measures for their user networks?".

Just my two cents worth.

Bill Frizzell, B.S./M.S.
Net+, i-Net+, CIW Professional, Master CIW Designer, CIW Certified
Instructor, MCP, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA, MCT, CTT+
CIO/VP Education & Technology
ACTT-Charlotte, LLC
Voice: (704) 329-1777
Fax: (704) 329-1755
Cell: (704) 577-1512
Email: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF-RUN [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Sally Hambridge
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 2:37 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: end user security

Sally Hambridge