Subject: Re: [sacm] [draft-ietf-sacm-architecture] Differentiate semantics of collection results vs. assertions (#7)

From: llorenzin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:24:44 -0700

LL - collection result is a free-floating piece of data (i.e. MAC-IP association) and an assertion is that that data is from a target endpoint
IM - separate operation to evaluate the trustworthiness of that statement - needs to be evaluated based on the collector (from a TNC client might be more reliable than from an external collector)
Separate point of - is this believably correct value? 
LL - one great example is IP-MAC associations - a DHCP server is somewhat authoritative, collector listening in network is less authoritative, could be a hop away
helps to know what kind of element is doing the collection
IM - also places limitations on freshness - IP-MAC from a DHCP server may have happened months ago, observation is current
DR - don't know yet what kind of authentication may be required in order to validate the association between the collector and the endpoint
Believe we have something in the requirements to say that in some cases, there must be an option to authenticate and refresh periodically
collector may have at least capability of knowing with which authorization the endpoint is trusted

---
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/sacmwg/draft-ietf-sacm-architecture/issues/7#issuecomment-146938668

---

From: llorenzin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:43:12 -0700

Closed #7.

---
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/sacmwg/draft-ietf-sacm-architecture/issues/7#event-431665104