Subject: [sacm] Registration agent

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 06:37:46 +0900

I am working through the architecture draft issues and I came up with a
question.  A Broker is one agent that can be used for discovery.  However,
what agent are we using to do registration?  Is this also done through a
Broker?

Jim

---

From: Henk Birkholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 00:25:50 +0100

Hi Jim,

a broker is a controller type and a controller "is responsible for
handling the secure communications establishment (such as the
authentication and authorization) between Providers and Consumers."(3.1.4.).

The first concrete mentioning of registration now moved far far away
from figure 1 in section 3. Section 4 includes the reference to
"Interface A" that states: "The interface must also handle the functions
to allow for the discovery and registration of the Providers as well as
the ways in which Posture Assessment Information can be provided (or
requested)."

I.e. registration of Providers seems to be covered explicitly (although
now it is hidden in section 4 too far away from the figure referenced)
and registration of a Consumer seems to be covered only implicitly via
3.1.4.

Grüße,

Henk

On 11/04/2015 10:37 PM, Jim Schaad wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> sacm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sacm
>

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 09:25:12 +0900

Henk,

Yes, but that does not answer my question.

Jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: sacm [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Henk Birkholz
> Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 8:26 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [sacm] Registration agent
> 
> Hi Jim,
> 
handling the
> secure communications establishment (such as the authentication and
> authorization) between Providers and Consumers."(3.1.4.).
> 
> The first concrete mentioning of registration now moved far far away from
> figure 1 in section 3. Section 4 includes the reference to "Interface A"
that
> states: "The interface must also handle the functions to allow for the
discovery
> and registration of the Providers as well as the ways in which Posture
> Assessment Information can be provided (or requested)."
> 
now it is
> hidden in section 4 too far away from the figure referenced) and
registration of
> a Consumer seems to be covered only implicitly via 3.1.4.
> 
> Grüße,
> 
> Henk
> 
> > I am working through the architecture draft issues and I came up with
> > a question.  A Broker is one agent that can be used for discovery.
> > However, what agent are we using to do registration?  Is this also
> > done through a Broker?
> >
> > Jim
> >
> >

---

From: Henk Birkholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 01:35:06 +0100

Oh. Yes and no: according to current wording, registration of Providers
is done by a broker. It is implied that it is done by a broker for
Consumers, I think.

The intend, I think, is that "registration" is a SACM function on the
control plane provided by brokers (because they are Controllers).

If this it not the case, the text does not seem to reflect that?

Personally, I could imagine that Controller functions could be separated
across multiple Controllers, by distributing building blocks of SACM
functions across multiple endpoints or SACM components (e.g. one for
discovery, one for registration, one for the actual brokering)?

Grüße,

Henk

---

From: Chris Inacio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 09:35:30 +0000

Isn’t a broker a special case of a controller or a provider?

Jim,

I think fundamentally you have a protocol question, but unless we’re assuming that we’re adopting XMPP-grid, I don’t think there is an answer for that.  

--
Chris Inacio
[email-masked]

> On Nov 5, 2015, at 9:35 AM, Henk Birkholz <[email-masked]> wrote:
>