Subject: "unbounded"

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 12:47:47 +0000

I just noticed that one of the changes Gareth wanted is to 
allow >1 credential in a download response (which is fine,
given the new way we're using the cred selector string).

His suggested schema includes:

>   <element name="Credential" type="sacred:CredentialType"
>      maxOccurs="unbounded"/>

Now, my (set of related) questions are: 

- How should we handle "unbounded" in general? ("not using
  it" is my favorite answer:-)
- How many credentials/account MUST a credential server be 
  able to handle? (Is anything other than "[0|1|many]" really 
  plausible? How about "at least 10/acount"?)
- MUST a client be able to handle the same number or would
  a client that can only handle one credential be ok? (Any
  other subtleties there?)
- Are there any DoS or buffer-overrun attacks possible, that
  are related to this usage? (or some other "unbounded" - this 
  case seems ok since the message is inherently from an 
  authenticated source, at least with beep).

Maybe there're other things too?

Stephen.

-- 
____________________________________________________________
Stephen Farrell         				   
Baltimore Technologies,   tel: (direct line) +353 1 881 6716
39 Parkgate Street,                     fax: +353 1 881 7000
Dublin 8.                mailto:[email-masked]
Ireland                             http://www.baltimore.com