Subject: Approval as Proposed Standard

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:26:13 -0800

I just noticed that this message didn't get sent to the ietf-sasl mailing
list. Congradulations all around!

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Subject: Protocol Action: Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) 
         to Proposed Standard                                              
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 07:47:46 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]

  The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft "Simple Authentication and
  Security Layer (SASL)" <draft-myers-auth-sasl-13.txt> as a Proposed
  Standard. It is not a product of an IETF working group. The IESG contact
  person is Jeffrey I. Schiller.
 
Technical Summary

  SASL is a protocol suitable for command line protocols (such as POP, IMAP or
  SMTP) to negotiate an exercise a security method such as OTP (S/KEY),
  Kerberos, a GSSAPI mechanism or similar technology.

Working Group Summary

  N/A

Protocol Quality

  The Security Area Director (Jeffrey I. Schiller) has reviewed this document
  and concluded that it performs its function as described. There are no known
  security vulnerabilities (besides those inherent whenever a security
  mechanism is negotiated between two parties) introduced by the use of this
  protocol. Overall network security can be improved by appropriate use of
  SASL with mechanisms that do not expose passwords over the network
  unencrypted.