Subject: regarding draft-myers-smtp-auth-08.txt

From: "Jack De Winter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 15:11:49 -0500

a quick question regarding the inclusion of the AUTH=addr-spec to
the Mail From line.

My question centres around how to translate any characters that are in
the "not allowed list" (space, '=', and any of the control characters)
to something that can be placed in that line.

If you examine the definition for addr-spec, it boils down mainly to
atoms and words.  With an atom, the '=' is not covered in the specs,
and with the words, it devolves into atoms and quoted strings.

Given an example authentication id such as:

"name=\"Fred Flintstone\""@mynode.com

how would we encode that so that it could be passed as an authentication
token, seeing as it is perfectly valid according to the RFC822
construction rules for addr-spec?

regards,
Jack
-------------------------------------------------
Jack De Winter - Wildbear Consulting, Inc.
(519) 884-4498		http://www.wildbear.on.ca/jacks/