Subject: Re: SASLPrep vs Full Stop code points

From: Ienup Sung <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 17:48:21 -0800 (PST)

As U+002E is used as full stop as label separator (not as decimal point for
number representations), the Asian full stops are used as full stop as
label separator in the IDNA.

The IDNA's full stop mappings on the Internet domain style names are possible
and rather desireable for convenience since we know that the full stops in
that case are used as label separators and thus safely map the Asian full stops
to the U+002E as the full stop.

With regards,

Ienup

] Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 17:11:47 -0500
] From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
] Subject: Re: SASLPrep vs Full Stop code points
] To: Ienup Sung <[email-masked]>
] Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
] MIME-version: 1.0
] Content-transfer-encoding: 8BIT
] 
] >>>>> "Ienup" == Ienup Sung <[email-masked]> writes:
] 
]     Ienup> Actually that's exactly the problem that I was also talking
]     Ienup> about since people will treat the Asian full stops and
]     Ienup> U+002E differently at Asian countries and when people tried
]     Ienup> to register a new user account with let say 3ã€‚14
]     Ienup> (where it is three, Asian full-stop, and fourteen), the
]     Ienup> PLAIN based user account system could say, sorry, we
]     Ienup> already have 3.14 (that is three point one four) which is
]     Ienup> totally different user account name and would deny the new
]     Ienup> user account name which will be quite confusing for Asian
]     Ienup> people.
] 
] OK, then why would people use the Asian full stop in domain names?
] What's different about the world of DNS and the world of user names?
] 
] Yours in confusion,
] 
] --Sam
] 
]

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 20:36:37 -0500

>>>>> "Ienup" == Ienup Sung <[email-masked]> writes:

    Ienup> As U+002E is used as full stop as label separator (not as
    Ienup> decimal point for number representations), the Asian full
    Ienup> stops are used as full stop as label separator in the IDNA.

    Ienup> The IDNA's full stop mappings on the Internet domain style
    Ienup> names are possible and rather desireable for convenience
    Ienup> since we know that the full stops in that case are used as
    Ienup> label separators and thus safely map the Asian full stops
    Ienup> to the U+002E as the full stop.

    Ienup> With regards,

You believe there is not a similar convenience issue in usernames?

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 20:36:37 -0500

Ienup> With regards,