Subject: rfc2222bis: protocol profile?

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:48:07 +0100

What is the purpose of the protocol profile?  If a protocol spec has
something to say about its SASL entities that are not mentioned in
section 5 (Protocol profile requirements), should it go in the profile
or elsewhere?  Could you say something about that in section 5?

For example, the LDAP document draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-08.txt says:

   3.3.5. Rules for using SASL security layers 
    
   If a SASL security layer is negotiated, the client SHOULD discard 
   information about the server fetched prior to the initiation of the 
   SASL negotiation and not obtained through secure mechanisms.  

   If the client is configured to support multiple SASL mechanisms, it 
   SHOULD fetch the supportedSASLmechanisms list [An LDAP item] both
   before and after the SASL security layer is negotiated.  (...)

Does that belong in the protocol profile?

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 18:42:14 -0500

>>>>> "Hallvard" == Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]> writes:

    Hallvard> What is the purpose of the protocol profile?  If a
    Hallvard> protocol spec has something to say about its SASL
    Hallvard> entities that are not mentioned in section 5 (Protocol
    Hallvard> profile requirements), should it go in the profile or
    Hallvard> elsewhere?  Could you say something about that in
    Hallvard> section 5?

I believe section 5 is a set of minimum requirements for protocol
profiles; you should be able to specify additional details in the
profile document.

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:10:22 +0100

> profiles; you should be able to specify additional details in the

OK, but why would I - or why would I not?  What belongs in the protocol
profile?

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:05:02 +0000

>Does that belong in the protocol profile?
IMHO, this kind of information does belong to a protocol profile document.

Alexey
__________________________________________
Isode Limited, http://www.isode.com

IETF standard related pages:
http://www.melnikov.ca/mel/devel/Links.html
__________________________________________

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 18:42:14 -0500

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:10:22 +0100

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:05:02 +0000

Alexey