Subject: Re: Comments: gssapi-domain-based-name

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:29:54 -0600

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:22:17PM +0100, Love wrote:
> 
> I think that sasl needs to be modified to use domain based names.
> 
> rfc2222 specifies it want to use GSS_C_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE with service
> and hostname as service@hostname.

Yes.  At this rate rfc2222bis might as well be modified accordingly and
have a reference to the domain based naming i-d added to be.

> and since nico uses ldap, that uses sasl, as an example. I think think
> needs to make into consideration if the example is ever is going to work.

Yes.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Nico
--

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:49:26 -0500

>>>>> "Nicolas" == Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]> writes:

    Nicolas> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:22:17PM +0100, Love wrote:
    >> rfc2222 specifies it want to use GSS_C_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE
    >> with service and hostname as service@hostname.

    Nicolas> Yes.  At this rate rfc2222bis might as well be modified
    Nicolas> accordingly and have a reference to the domain based
    Nicolas> naming i-d added to be.

Are there any 2222 implications or is it just a gssapi implication?

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:08:39 -0500

>    >> with service and hostname as service@hostname.

To be clear, its the "GSSAPI" mechanism specification in RFC 2222
which wants this... not the SASL framework specification that
wants this.

>Are there any 2222 implications or is it just a gssapi implication?

This might have "GSSAPI"-bis implications (sasl-gssapi), but it
shouldn't have any SASL framework (sasl-2222bis) implications.

Kurt

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:03:33 -0600

Love's point is that RFC2222 specifically talks about what server names
are like, and that is like hostbased-services.  Introducing new name
types for SASL mechs may require changing this.

Nico
--

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:11:08 +0000

>types for SASL mechs may require changing this.
2222bis only refers to service names. I can't find anywhere in the text 
reference to hostnames.

I think only the GSSAPI draft is affected.

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:50:31 -0600

> I think only the GSSAPI draft is affected.

Good.  I'll come up with some text.

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:29:54 -0600

Yes.

Nico
--

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:49:26 -0500

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:08:39 -0500

Kurt

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:03:33 -0600

Nico
--

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:11:08 +0000

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:50:31 -0600