Subject: [SAVA] Re: [Int-area] Call For Participation and Interest:Source Address Validation Architecture (SAVA)

From: gvandeve at cisco.com (Gunter Van de Velde (gvandeve))
Date: Thu Sep 14 22:53:42 2006

DDOS avoidance is quite high up my list of priority also... I would be
additionally interrested in a mechanism that would identify the attacker
or identify sources of SPAM.

G/

-----Original Message-----
From: Iljitsch van Beijnum [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 3:56 PM
To: Jun Bi
Cc: [email-masked]; Pekka Savola; [email-masked]; IETF
IPv6 Mailing List; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [SAVA] Re: [Int-area] Call For Participation and
Interest:Source Address Validation Architecture (SAVA)

On 12-sep-2006, at 16:31, Jun Bi wrote:

> DDoS attacks is a cross-layer problems, so the DDoS prevention is out 
> of SAVA's scope.

So what's the use then? Non-DoS related source address spoofing is
easily thwarted by doing a return routability check that contains a
hard-to-guess nonce.

The way it looks here, the focus of SAVA is so narrow that I can't see
how it's worth the effort.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: robson.oliveira at ipv6dobrasil.com (Robson Oliveira)
Date: Fri Sep 15 00:10:57 2006

The safe seems to be more expensive than gold pot.
Why nobody steals the on-line banks daily? Perhaps its operational systems
are safer than others.
I suggest to fix the operational systems vunerabilities on the end.

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Gunter Van de Velde (gvandeve) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Enviada em: Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:01 AM
Para: Iljitsch van Beijnum; Jun Bi
Cc: IETF IPv6 Mailing List; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
Pekka Savola; [email-masked]
Assunto: RE: [SAVA] Re: [Int-area] Call For Participation andInterest:Source
Address Validation Architecture (SAVA)

DDOS avoidance is quite high up my list of priority also... I would be
additionally interrested in a mechanism that would identify the attacker or
identify sources of SPAM.

G/

-----Original Message-----
From: Iljitsch van Beijnum [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 3:56 PM
To: Jun Bi
Cc: [email-masked]; Pekka Savola; [email-masked]; IETF

> DDoS attacks is a cross-layer problems, so the DDoS prevention is out 

So what's the use then? Non-DoS related source address spoofing is easily
thwarted by doing a return routability check that contains a hard-to-guess
nonce.

The way it looks here, the focus of SAVA is so narrow that I can't see how
it's worth the effort.