Subject: [SAVA] ietf-bcp38bis mailing list [Was: RFC2827-bis comments solicitation]

From: fergdawg at netzero.net (Fergie)
Date: Sat Nov 18 04:06:10 2006

As a follow-up to my previous message re: "RFC2827-bis
comments solicitation", we now have a dedicated mailing
list for discussion of bringing BCP38 up-to-date:

[snip]

ietf-bcp38bis mailing list

The ietf-bcp38bis mailing list is for discussing an update
to BCP 38, "Network Ingress Filtering".

To subscribe to the mailing list, send a message to:

 [email-masked]

...with the single word 'subscribe' in the body of the
message.

[snip]

The web site for this mailing list is sponsored by the VPN
Consortium. If you have any suggestions for additions or
corrections to this web page, please send them to
paul.hoffman(at)vpnc.org.

Many thanks to Paul Hoffman for hosting the list.

- - ferg

>
>First, sorry for any duplicates, but we wanted to reach all
>interested parties.
>
>After several discussions with many different folks last week
>at IETF 67 in San Diego, as well as various people over the
>course of the past few months, Dan Senie and I have decided to
>undertake an effort to "update" RFC2827/BCP38 [1].
>
>I know that I'm not the only person who has heard various
>discussions in the past couple of years that concluded that
>(paraphrased), "BCP38 needs to be updated."
>
>Now is your chance to speak up. :-)
>
>We would very much like to solicit comments & suggestions from the
>community-at-large on areas where you feel BCP38 is lacking, or in
>areas where you feel it does not properly address with regards to
>prohibiting source-spoofed traffic from any given administrative
>network boundary, given that some technical aspects of the Internet
>may have changed since it's publication.
>
>While we acknowledge that a uniform application of a source address
>verification architecture/ingress filtering scheme will not mitigate
>_all_ "unwanted traffic" [2] in the Internet, it will most certainly
>address the issue of hosts which attempt to source-spoof traffic into
>the Internet.
>
>I have not set up a mailing list for this yet, but if there is
>enough discussion/input, I will make an effort to do so (or perhaps
>the SAVA mailing list [3] might be a good place for discussion). In
>the interim, you can contact me or Dan directly:
>
> Paul Ferguson: fergdawg(at)netzero.net
> Dan Senie:     dts(at)senie.com
>
>
>Thanks,
>
>fergie & dan
>
>p.s. Also, for anyone who might be interesting in related work,
>there is an effort to bring some additional work into the IETF
>called SAVA, or Source Address Validation Architecture [4].
>
>
>[1] http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2827.txt
>[2] http://www.iab.org/about/workshops/unwantedtraffic/index.html
>[3] http://www.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/mailman/listinfo/sava
>[4]
>http://www.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/2006-September/000004.html  

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 Engineering Architecture for the Internet
 fergdawg(at)netzero.net
 ferg's tech blog: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/