Subject: [SAVA] Need your input: draft-sava-problem-statement-01

From: pekkas at netcore.fi (Pekka Savola)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 11:22:12 +0300 (EEST)

Hi Fergie,

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Fergie wrote:
> Okay, so I'm tired and cranky, but here's a rough cut of the
> new problem statement.
>
> PLEASE send comments ASAP so that we can get this thing re-submitted
> this week, and begin to re-craft the framework draft.

I took a quick look at this and I must admit I was a little 
disappointed because there was very little "problem statement" in the 
draft, i.e., anything that would help the user to justify that a 
problem exists and should be solved.  Further, this revision also 
removes all the detail that was included in the previous version. 
Basically what seems to be left is: generic text on source spoofing or 
lack thereof (lots of it written in a way that I think is a 
mischaracterization) and division of the problem into three 
subcomponents (which were not more clearly defined).

In order to proceed with generic SAVA approach, I believe we need to 
have a problem statement (which probably might need have to include 
the "core" of the framework, i.e., division of problems into smaller 
pieces) that's more detailed.  If the solution landscape is split into 
smaller pieces, it's also necessary to more clearly define what we 
mean by those pieces (e.g., does first-hop include intra-subnet 
spoofing prevention or is LAN-interface ingress filtering sufficient).

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings