Subject: [savi] Threats draft

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:31:30 -0400

After some discussion, I have provided some input, and with Fred and 
Danny there is now a revision of the savie threats draft.  It will be 
posted properly when the repository reopens.  In the meantime, it can be 
fetched from:
     ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/fred/savi/savi-threat-01.txt
And a diff of this against the previous published version can be found at:
ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/fred/savi/Diff-savi-threat-00.txt-savi-threat-01.txt.html

The major change is a rewrite of section 6 to describe the relationship 
of general spoof prevention to the threats, and to talk about the 
applicability of host specific spoof prevention.  This section probably 
needs elaboration, and input is solicited.

Text was added in the topology section talking about the impact of IPv6. 
  The purpose of this is to raise the fact that SLAAC complicates things 
and that the 64 bit ID introduces additional threat complications.

There is some additional text in the introduction and in section 8 about 
the relationship of this work to BCP 38.  In particular, this raises the 
perspective that because SAIV has local value to the deploying site, it 
may address some of the deployment difficulties of pure BCP 38.

There is text to address Marcelo's comments about router attacks and 
Mobile IP.  I am not sure this fully addresse hsi concerns, but it is a 
start.

There are other minor corrections and clarifications, as indicated in 
the diff.  (If the provided diff does not work for you, tools.ietf.org 
has a very nice diff tool as well.)

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern