Subject: [savi] [Errata Verified] RFC6620 (3926)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 04:59:40 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC6620,
"FCFS SAVI: First-Come, First-Served Source Address Validation Improvement for Locally Assigned IPv6 Addresses". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6620&eid=3926

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Editorial

Reported by: Leaf Yeh <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2014-03-21
Verified by: Ted Lemon (IESG)

Section: 3.2.3

Original Text
-------------
   +---------+  VP_NS, VP_DATA/2xNS                    +-----------+
   |         |---------------------------------------->|           |
   | NO_BIND |                                         | TENTATIVE |
   |         |<----------------------------------------|           |
   +---------+                    TP_NA, TP_NS/-       +-----------+
          ^                                                |
          |                                                | TimeOut
   Timeout|                                                |
          |                                                v
   +---------+  VP_NA/-                                +-----------+
   |         |---------------------------------------->|           |
   | TESTING |                                TP_NS/-  |           |
   |  TP-LT  |<----------------------------------------|   VALID   |
   |         |                           TimeOut/2xNS  |           |
   |         |<----------------------------------------|           |
   +---------+                                         +-----------+
     ^   |                                                ^    |
     |   |                                                |    |
     |   +---------------------      ---------------------+    |
     |       VP_NS/-          |     |  NP_NA, TimeOut/-        |
     |                        v     |                          |
     |                     +-----------+                       |
     |                     |           |                       |
     +---------------------|  TESTING  |<----------------------+
          VP_NS, VP_DATA/- |    VP     |  VP_DATA, VP_NS,
                           +-----------+  VP_NA/2xNS

                    Figure 2: Simplified State Machine

Corrected Text
--------------
   +---------+  VP_NS, VP_DATA/2xNS                    +-----------+
   |         |---------------------------------------->|           |
   | NO_BIND |                                         | TENTATIVE |
   |         |<----------------------------------------|           |
   +---------+                    TP_NA, TP_NS/-       +-----------+
          ^                                                |
          |                                                | TimeOut
   Timeout|                                                |
          |                                                v
   +---------+  VP_NA/-                                +-----------+
   |         |---------------------------------------->|           |
   | TESTING |                                TP_NS/-  |           |
   |  TP-LT  |<----------------------------------------|   VALID   |
   |         |                           TimeOut/2xNS  |           |
   |         |<----------------------------------------|           |
   +---------+                                         +-----------+
     ^   |                                                ^    |
     |   |                                                |    |
     |   +---------------------      ---------------------+    |
     |       VP_NS/-          |     |  VP_NA, TimeOut/-        |
     |                        v     |                          |
     |                     +-----------+                       |
     |                     |           |                       |
     +---------------------|  TESTING  |<----------------------+
          TP_NS, TP_DATA/- |    VP     |  VP_DATA, VP_NS,
                           +-----------+  VP_NA/2xNS

                    Figure 2: Simplified State Machine

Notes
-----
a. According to the description on the state machine at page 19,

 <quote>
o  If an NA message containing the IPAddr as the Target Address is
      received through the Validating Port P as a reply to the DAD_NS
      message, then the NA is forwarded as usual and the state is
      changed to VALID.  The LIFETIME is set to DEFAULT_LT.
 </quote>

the state change from TESTING_VP  to VALID should be triggered by the  VP_NA (NA message containing the IPAddr as the Target Address is received through the Validating Port).

b. According to the description on the state machine at page 19,

 <quote>
   o  If a data packet containing IPAddr as the source address is
      received through a Trusted Port (i.e., other than port P), the
      state is moved to TESTING_TP-LT, and the packet MAY be discarded.

   o  If a DAD_NS is received through a Trusted Port, the packet is
      forwarded as usual, and the state is moved to TESTING_TP-LT.
 </quote>

the state change from TESTING_VP  to TESTING_TP-LT should be triggered by the TP_DATA (data packet containing IPAddr as the source address received through a Trusted Port), or by the TP_NS (DAD_NS is received through a Trusted Port).

--------------------------------------
RFC6620 (draft-ietf-savi-fcfs-14)
--------------------------------------
Title               : FCFS SAVI: First-Come, First-Served Source Address Validation Improvement for Locally Assigned IPv6 Addresses
Publication Date    : May 2012
Author(s)           : E. Nordmark, M. Bagnulo, E. Levy-Abegnoli
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Source Address Validation Improvements
Area                : Internet
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG