Subject: [Sdn] BitsnBites ForCES PoC

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 12:59:50 -0400

Folks,

I am sorry for spamming all these lists. You are being spammed because
you are a cousin of ForCES.

We are planning to have a ForCES based NFV/SDN PoC demonstration at the
Bits and Bites event on Thursday night (1845-2100 at the Concert Hall).
Given it is very hard to give a lot of details in the demo, Evangelos Haleplidis
will present more details at the ForCES meeting Monday 15:20 at the
Manitoba room.

The official blurb is as follows:
------
SANA will demonstrate the proof-of-concept of the applicability of
IETF's ForCES framework for both NFV management and SDN control.
The ForCES data model will be utilized to describe VNFs, services and the
infrastructure definition in a clear, formal and concise approach.
The protocol will illustrate SDN control and NFV management of all
modelled elements.

The setup includes various NFV/SDN entities controlled and managed by the
ForCES architecture execute under a singular simple programmatic API
regardless of whether they are virtual or physical. The
separation of hardware and software is illustrated by the same NF
LFB data models implemented in:
a)KVM virtual machines, b) Linux containers, c) linux kernel proper
and d) ASIC based L2/3 (Broadcom chipset) in white box switches
all working in unison.

Infrastructure orchestration includes instantiating VMs, containers,
applications and setup of basic network connectivity using appropriate
ForCES LFBs.
Service orchestration is again modelled by ForCES LFBs and
both control and management activities for the services are driven by
the ForCES protocol.

We will illustrate 3GPP S/PGW simple connectivity (NAT-based) service
and the advantages
gained from (SDN) separating the datapath components of S/PGW from the control
as well as (NFV) separation of hardware from software.

This PoC is further illustrated in:
http://nfvwiki.etsi.org/index.php?title=ForCES_Applicability_for_NFV_and_integrated_SDN
--------

Apologies again for the mass email.

cheers,
jamal