Subject: Re: [seamoby] What message should Paging Agent send out?

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:47:24 -0700 (PDT)

>Though the definition of Paging Agent in RFC3154 (paging requirement)
>is ambiguous when we consider what message the Paging Agent sends
>out, I think that DMHA's Paging Agent should send IP paging message
>out to alert the dormant host.
>
>This means that some entity which converts the IP paging message to L2
>paging message is necessary (if L2 paging is utilized). I think that
>taking the converting function out of DMHA's Paging Agent is a good
>idea, because at the same time, we can take out the implementation
>issue that how Paging Agent deals with L2 paging.
>
>Comments?

I don't see any problem with having the Paging Agent do L2 paging
if it can. If the particular L2 doesn't support paging, then
the paging goes by IP. That is clear from the definition. The
Paging Agent is meant to be the definitive functional entity that issues
the paging message to the dormant mode mobile host. Whether or
not it issues an IP paging message or L2 paging message depends
on the specific L2 to which the Paging Agent is connected. It's
like a Mobile IP Foreign Agent in this respect.

Is there a specific example or problem that you feel isn't covered
by this functional architecture?

		jak

---

From: NAKAJIMA Nobuyasu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:03:51 -0400 (LDT)

Jim,

Thank you for your comments!

> by this functional architecture?

I start thinking this in a different way, but...

I think that the question is; do we need clear distinction between
L3 paging area and L2 paging area?

For example, suppose that a L3 paging area consists of several L2
paging areas which are based on different L2 technology. Then current
Paging Agent has to know about different types of L2 technology and
different types of L2 paging method. This might make the functionality
of the Paging Agent difficult to understand.

Of course the current Paging Agent is a "functional" entity, but I
think that things become easy to understand if we define the Paging
Agent as a sender of L3 paging messages instead of various L2 paging
messages dependent on the L2 system.

If the people who consider the seamoby paging think that this is a
trivial issue and not worth considering any more, then leave the
definition of Paging Agent as it is. I may be wrong...

Thanks

Nobuyasu
----
Nobuyasu Nakajima
Toshiba America Research, Inc.