Subject: RE: [seamoby] Update on Issues from IETF meeting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:23:59 +0300

Hi all,
 
I think that CT could happen under the following conditions:
    1) Before handoff
    2) During handoff
    3) After handoff
 
Futher more, I see it as feasible that:
    1) All context (for a particular CTP instance) could be sent in a single
packet (subject to MTU)
    2) Context (for a particular CTP instance) could be sent seperately
 
I think that it depends on the situation, implementation and requirements
for the particular context being transfered.
 
I request that the CT requirements allow for this.
 
thanks,
John

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:22:46 -0700

Well, we are trying to get consensus on your first point, but
the other issue that seems to have consensus is to allow for CT to occur
in multiple phases.

PatC

---

From: Theo Pagtzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:20:31 +0100

Hello John,

   although the before (proactive), during (active), after (reactive)
is indeed correct, I would object to the specific of the event, that
is the 'handoff'

This seriously restricts the solution space since you do not
necessarily want to restrict yourself for context transfer around
handoffs only. It may well be something else, something which is not a
handoff. This is exactly why Gary actually wonder (rhetorically :)
what is a handoff IMHO. In that sense, I would be
strongly in favour of identifying in the requirement that:

CT may be effected after (reactively), before (proactively), during
(actively) and _event_  not a specific instantiation of an event such
as a 'handoff'.

I do not think any requirements must make any assumptions whether the
CT state for some state class should be restricted to a size of number
of packets. However the requirement must allow for time phases that
part or all of the CT may take place, or at the very least it must not
preclude such possibility.

Regs

Theo

UCL/ Mobile Systems

[email-masked] wrote:

>  Hi all,I think that CT could happen under the following
> conditions:    1) Before handoff    2) During handoff    3) After
> handoffFuther more, I see it as feasible that:    1) All context
> (for a particular CTP instance) could be sent in a single packet
> (subject to MTU)    2) Context (for a particular CTP instance) could
> be sent seperatelyI think that it depends on the situation,
> implementation and requirements for the particular context being
> transfered.I request that the CT requirements allow for
> this.thanks,John