Subject: Re: [Seamoby] Examples of CAR discovery

From: "Govind Krishnamurthi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:15:05 -0500

James,
>
>But..but..
>
>How can you push into the MN's profile that on Tues. March 26 Mr. Fu
>forget his network card because he had to take his kid to the doctor?
>
>             jak
>

[Govind]
I have said this several times in my earlier mails but somehow the point was 
missed. So let me repeat again.

Assuming that the forgotten interface card is a WLAN card.

For TAR selection this does not matter that Mr Fu's
MN forgot his network card. This is because, the TAR selection
algorithm (trying to decide the new AR on this Tue March 26)
realizes this fact from the absence of reachability
(received from the MN) to WLAN APs. This is clearly an implementation
issue of the TAR selection algorithm.

Regards,
Govind.

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:10:05 -0800

How can the TAR selection algorithm realize the absence of
reachability? If the subscriber profile says that the MN has
a WLAN card in and, in fact, it doesn't, then there either a) there
needs
to be some complicated protocol to tell the AR or b) the AR
will make a mistake and move the MN to a medium that
it currently doesn't have.

I maintain that a) is too complicated and b) is an error.

And, no, I don't think this is TBD by the TAR implementation. It
lies at the heart of whether a network-only controlled algorithm
would work for ITHO.

            jak

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:10:05 -0800

jak