Subject: RE: [Seamoby] CAR Discovery Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:06:36 -0500

Hi James,

I don't see that the requirement is addressing the distribution 
of the information. There is another requirement for this, namely
3.4. The present one is merely addressing that a solution has to 
match the set of GAAR+capabilities with MN's requirements to determine 
the set of CARs. This is essentially what CAR discovery is about, isn't 
it?

Whether you use existing protocols for certain parts is not
prohibited by the chosen wording. You might use AAA to express
the requirements. Still, a CAR discovery protocol has to match
these requirements onto the available GAAR+cap info. How this
is done depends on the solution.

Regards,

Dirk

-----Original Message-----
From: ext James Kempf [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 3:27 PM
To: Trossen Dirk (NRC/Boston); [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Seamoby] CAR Discovery Requirements

Dirk,

</wg-chair-hat-off>

> "3.xx Providing MN's requirement for Determination of CARs
> 
> The fundamental task of CAR discovery is to determine candidate
> access routers (from the set of GAARs) that meet MN's requirements,
> if known at the time of handoff. A CAR discovery protocol MUST 
> determine a set of CARs that meet MN's requirements. For this, 
> a CAR discovery protocol MUST provide means for the MN to express 
> these requirements."
> 

I think this is confusing two issues:

    - Distribution of routing reachability and capability information.

    - Expression of MN requirements or rights.

The second issue may require, for example, AAA, or it 
may be implemented using an AAA protocol.

I think it would make more sense to keep these issues separate.

</wg-chair-hat-on>

            jak

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:26:42 -0800

> the set of CARs. This is essentially what CAR discovery is about,
isn't

What 3.4 states is:

    3.4. CAPABILITY DISCOVERY

    The other fundamental function of CAR discovery protocols is that of
    identifying the capabilities of GAARs. The protocol MUST provide
    functionality to allow ARs to discover their GAAR's capabilities.
These
    capabilities MUST be communicated in a secure fashion.

This says nothing about the MN's capability requirements.

In fact, if you look at the last item in Section 3 of
draft-ietf-seamoby-cardiscovery-issues-02.txt, TAR Selection Algorithm,
the selection of a target router, which would involve matching the MN's
requests with the AR capabilities, is explicitly excluded from the
problem
statement.

> is done depends on the solution.

According to Section 3 of draft-ietf-seamoby-cardiscovery-issues-02.txt,
this is out of scope of the problem.

            jak

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:26:42 -0800

What 3.4 states is:

            jak