Subject: RE: [Seamoby] Dormant Mode Location Tracking by Mobility Protocol Issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:45:33 -0600

James,

> Last spring during the height of California's power crisis, power use in
the state dropped by 10% because people started buying compact
fluorescent bulbs and took other power saving measures. The reason they
did this is beause the cost of electricity went up by a factor of 10
over the previous year. My own electricity bill dropped by about 30 kWH
a month for the same reason. If IP paging can help in reducing power
costs, then I think there is a big business reason for having it, to say
nothing of the CO2 and pollution saving.

I would like to hear from somebody one scenario how IP paging for stationary hosts saves battery. What kind of current L2 (ethernet, WLAN) are we assuming here and what kind of dormancy and paging alert functions does it have?  

For stationary hosts, the power saving capabilities are NOT realised until the hosts perform paging registration and can (actually) go dormant at L2. This also requires that the L2 must support re-connect features when the paging request arrives. 

We can argue that there may be future L2 technologies that may support this. But, the focus right now is more on mobile hosts that use existing/near term L2 technologies that support the paging features and need power saving when idle. Hence the emphasis on the paging protocol solution for such mobile hosts.

Regards.
Srini

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 12:12:38 -0600

I agree with Srini.
What we should concentrate is the devices that move. For Simple IP, I
have concerns. But if Yoshi says he can set up interoperability tests
for devices that move but do not have MIP, why not?
The simple policy of if you want it you get it can be applied.
Regards,

-- 
Behcet

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:16:20 -0800

> I would like to hear from somebody one scenario how IP paging for
stationary hosts saves battery. What kind of current L2 (ethernet, WLAN)
are we assuming here and what kind of dormancy and paging alert
functions does it have?
>
> For stationary hosts, the power saving capabilities are NOT realised
until the hosts perform paging registration and can (actually) go
dormant at L2. This also requires that the L2 must support re-connect
features when the paging request arrives.
>
> We can argue that there may be future L2 technologies that may support
this. But, the focus right now is more on mobile hosts that use
existing/near term L2 technologies that support the paging features and
need power saving when idle. Hence the emphasis on the paging protocol
solution for such mobile hosts.

There is a particular Ethernet frame type defined in Intel's Wired For
Managment protocol that can be used to wake up a sleeping host. It was
defined as part of the government's Energy Star initiative. I think it
is now implemented by most NICs, including non-Intel ones. Most modern
operating systems have power management capabilities that allow
nonessential components, such as disk, screen, and even CPU, to be
turned off if not in use. The NIC card would be the only component that
is on.

This frame would serve as the L2 support for DMHA.

            jak