Subject: [Seamoby] Requirement for Using Existing Protocols

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:42:10 -0800

This requirement is meant to encourage re-use of existing protocols
wherever possible.

    The Seamoby CAR Discovery solution MUST re-use existing protocols
    wherever possible. As part of drafting the solution, existing
protocol
    MUST be examined for their match with the requirements, and
    modifications SHOULD be proposed in preference to inventing
    new protocols.

            jak

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: "Hemant Chaskar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:31:13

Hi James:

In IETF, don't we always do the best of our effort to reuse existing 
protocols whenever applicable. I think this requirement (more precisely a 
practice) is true for ANY protocol that IETF works on. What is so special 
about this requirement in CAR discovery? Shouldn't we be quoting only those 
requirements that are specific to CAR discovery, usual practices being well 
understood.

Also, what is exactly the meaning of inventing new protocol? How do you 
define a novelty of a protocol? I think as long as the protocol uses 
existing IP modules like say TCP, UDP, ICMP, DHCP, IPSec, Routing etc. it is 
not a new invention. How messages are sent using these tools, what 
information they carry and how they need to be processed solely depends upon 
the problem at hand. If this can be reused as well from other protocols that 
is even better.

Hemant

>From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: [Seamoby] Requirement for Using Existing Protocols
>Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:42:10 -0800
>

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com