Subject: RE: [Seamoby] Dormant Mode Location Tracking by Mobility Protocol Issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 15:51:07 -0600

>There is a particular Ethernet frame type defined in Intel's Wired For
Managment protocol that can be used to wake up a sleeping host. It was
defined as part of the government's Energy Star initiative. I think it
is now implemented by most NICs, including non-Intel ones. Most modern
operating systems have power management capabilities that allow
nonessential components, such as disk, screen, and even CPU, to be
turned off if not in use. The NIC card would be the only component that
is on.

This frame would serve as the L2 support for DMHA.

It is used for remote management of PCs for IT purposes. I cannot think of usage scenarios with DMHA. 

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:56:11 -0800

> It is used for remote management of PCs for IT purposes. I cannot
think of usage scenarios with DMHA.

Can you explain why? If the host is fixed, all that is required is some
signal at L2 that causes the power management hardware to spin up the
disk and turn on the CPU.

            jak

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:56:11 -0800

jak