Subject: Re: [Seamoby] Examples of CAR discovery

From: "Govind Krishnamurthi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:32:51 -0500

James,
Because one of the inputs to TAR selection is the reachability information 
from the MN.  Irrespective of what the MN's profile
says if the MN does not inform that it can hear to a particular
AP (which is of a particular technology) then why will the TAR
selection algorithm hand over to the AR which controls that AP?
I thought reachability information from the MNs includes what
APs it can hear and if a interface is not present why will the MN
give information that it can hear an AP of a matching technology?

Clearly if the AR clearly intreprets this lack of information
from the MN as a signal to hand it over to that very AR then there
something wrong in the implementation.
There is no need for any complicated protocol. When you look at
the issues draft you will see that TAR selection has the reachability
information from the MN as one of its input.

>
>How can the TAR selection algorithm realize the absence of
>reachability? If the subscriber profile says that the MN has
>a WLAN card in and, in fact, it doesn't, then there either a) there
>needs
>to be some complicated protocol to tell the AR or b) the AR
>will make a mistake and move the MN to a medium that
>it currently doesn't have.
>
>I maintain that a) is too complicated and b) is an error.
>
>And, no, I don't think this is TBD by the TAR implementation. It
>lies at the heart of whether a network-only controlled algorithm
>would work for ITHO.

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:45:29 -0800

Right, so the AR hands over the list of GAAR and the MN figures out
where it wants to go. What could be simpler?

            jak

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:45:29 -0800

jak