Subject: RE: [Seamoby] CARD between Routers - will CT do?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:33:41 -0500

Hello James,
I wouldn't want to tie it up with CT for the following reason. This information
 may be needed to refreshed at times other than that during handovers, which is when CT happens. Infact, this information is more important prior to the handover process.
How does an AR discover any change in the AP configuration? I think this should be stored as soft state and should be refreshed min(when an AR knows
of an AP configuration change, lifetime expiration). 

Also, right now, contexts are MN specific. This is not MN specific context. Let me
know if I have misunderstood your comment.

Thanks,
Govind.

-----Original Message-----
From: ext James Kempf [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 4:58 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Seamoby] CARD between Routers - will CT do?

So most of the discussion here has been about CARD between the Mobile Node and
Access Router, and that's OK since it certainly is an important topic.

However, equally important is how two Access Routers exchange information about
the access points connected to them. This could be statically configured, but
that would be very inconvenient.

I'm wondering if this might be a good application of CT? The "context" here
would be an authenticatable list of access points connected up to a particular
router.

Comments?

            jak

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby
_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:50:12 -0800

Hi Govind,

>  may be needed to refreshed at times other than that during handovers, which
is when CT happens. Infact, this information is more important prior to the
handover process.

I don't think there are any restraints on CT being coupled to handover
signaling. In fact, I believe that one of the requirements is that it can be
sent at any time. I recall a very long discussion about this in Pittsburg, I
believe.

> How does an AR discover any change in the AP configuration? I think this
should be stored as soft state and should be refreshed min(when an AR knows
> of an AP configuration change, lifetime expiration).

Ideally, the APs would have a protocol built in that would allow them to notify
the routers. But of course, we are stuck here because APs are not recognized as
a network element within IETF. Only hosts (which are end nodes) and routers are.
So we are dependent on other standards organizations to do this.

I suppose one could use SNMP for this purpose. I believe IEEE 802.11 defines an
SNMP MIB for 802.11 access points.

> know if I have misunderstood your comment.

You are referring to the feature context having within it information about a
specific MN? Yes, that is correct, so this would be a difference.

            jak

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:50:12 -0800

Hi Govind,

            jak