Subject: [SECMECH] Identity Protection in EAP-TLS

From: Pascal Urien <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 23:27:59 +0200

Hi Everybody,

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Identity Protection within EAP-TLS
	Author(s)	: P. Urien, M. Badra
	Filename	: draft-urien-badra-eap-tls-identity-protection-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2006-5-31
	
This document defines a mechanism providing EAP-TLS identity
protection.

It defines new TLS extension, in order to negotiate the symmetric
encryption algorithm that is used to encrypt or decrypt the client's
certificate.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-urien-badra-eap-tls-identity-protection-00.txt

Pascal 

_______________________________________________
SECMECH mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secmech

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 00:32:59 +0200

> encryption algorithm that is used to encrypt or decrypt the client's

How would your approach compare to using TLS-PSK to set up a TLS
connection, and then within that TLS session, re-handshake with client
certificates?  The client certificates would then be encrypted.

/Simon

---

From: Mohamad Badra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 02:01:27 +0200

Hi Simon,

> certificates?  The client certificates would then be encrypted.

The document assumes that there is no PSK shared between the client and 
the server. Thus, there is no way to encrypt the certificate unless we 
key derived from the premaster secret (per-session key).

We already published a document (EAP-Double-TLS) which runs like your 
approch: establishing a TLS shared secret Handshake to set up a 
protected connection and therefore an Handshake with certificate exchange.

> /Simon

Best regards
Badra