Subject: Re: User and group information in sftp attributes

From: Darren J Moffat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:30:01 -0800

Damien Miller wrote:
> 
> Currently the filexfer draft encodes user and group info as ints.
> Would it make sense to send the textual user and group as strings
> as well?
> 
> This would enable the receiver to maintain ownership where the same
> names are present, but the uids and gids differ, a situation which
> is pretty common.

I can see the rational but I don't think this is a good idea my
first reaction is that this is what nameservices are deployed for ie,
consistant mapping from name to number.

It is inconsistant with what NFS does and what FTP does.  I can't
think of a security vulnerability it just doesn't give me the warm
fuzzies.

--
Darren J Moffat

---

From: Markus Friedl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 11:32:39 +0100

> names are present, but the uids and gids differ, a situation which

well, you could use
	SSH_FILEXFER_ATTR_EXTENDED
if you need this feature.