Subject: This list has moved.

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:23:11 -0500

As a few of you have remarked, [email-masked] hasn't been working
well lately.  I've seen evidence that several fairly important
messages (both from myself and from several other folks) have not made
it through to the two places I'm subscribed or to the archive.

Tatu Ylonen informs me that the folks he knew at clinet.fi (which he
described as a "local ISP") are no longer there, so it's time to move
the list.  When I mentioned these difficulties in another forum, I
recieved an immediate offer to host it at netbsd.org.

The new list is <[email-masked]>; it will be administered via
majordomo (just like the current list).  I'm currently set up as the
moderator for that list.

List policy:

There has been substantial discussion over on the POISED list recently
regarding mailing list policy, so a few words are appropriate here..

The new list is currently configured to be unmoderated and to allow
open access (i.e., non-subscribers may post) since there seems to be
rough consensus that subscriber-only lists discourage participation
from folks (like IESG/IAB members) who may have something to
contribute but don't have the time to subscribe to every WG's list.

That said, there are a few (system-wide) filters in place on the
netbsd.org mail server which catch certain messages and send them to
the moderator instead of the list members.  These include patterns to
weed out common user errors (e.g., subscribe/unsubscribe requests), as
well as excessively long messages (over 100000 bytes), barfmail, and
words and phrases that have historically been used by spammers and
mail viruses.

As moderator, I'll look over all the bounces and approve messages
which were bounced inappropriately -- i.e., if there's a message about
using ssh for remote management of t*ner c*rtridges, I'll let it
through ;-)

It is my intent to encourage open contribution to this WG from any
interested party.  There are, to my knowledge, no filters in place
which would automatically exclude posts by any WG participant or
implementor.  If you feel that filters are being applied
inappropriately, please let me know ASAP; most likely it's an
oversight or error which can be quickly corrected.  Likewise, please
let me know ASAP if you see other operational problems with this list.

						- Bill