Subject: Re: zlib is not GNU

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 8:53:40 EST

> > On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 05:45:35PM -0800, Wei Dai wrote:
> > > zlib is refered to as "GNU ZLIB (LZ77) compression" in the transport
> > > draft, but I don't think zlib (either the library for the compression
> > > format) has anything to do with GNU (either the organization or the
> > > license). I suggest the word "GNU" be taken out.
> > 
> > I take that back. Although the zlib home page doesn't mention GNU, zlib is
> > listed at the gnu.org site as a GNU software package.
> 
> Looking at the source, it does not mention GNU in any way (at least not
> in 1.1.3, which is the version I am using). I think we
> should respect what the authors themselves chose to do, and not use the
> word GNU there.

I believe that this source has been released under multiple licenses
by the authors.  Some of them are GNU and some of them are not.  I
agree that GNU should not be used as part of the description of the
ZLIB compression library.

---

From: [email-masked] (Niels M�ller)
Date: 05 Feb 2001 16:42:53 +0100

> ZLIB compression library.

I mailed the zlib authors and rms. It seems the classification on
http://www.gnu.org/software is buggy. According to [email-masked],

  " zlib should be in section "Other Non-GPL-Covered Free Software". "

not in the current section "GNU Software Packages".

/Niels