Subject: draft-griffin-ssh-host-keys-in-dns-00.txt

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 12:01:36 -0500

I believe that:

	"Storing SSH Host Keys in DNS"
	draft-griffin-ssh-host-keys-in-dns-00.txt

should be made a working group document.

Please send comments on whether or not this makes sense to this list,
(as well as technical or other comments on the document itself).

						- Bill

---

From: "Jeff P. Van Dyke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:17:12 -0700

From: "Bill Sommerfeld" <[email-masked]>
> (as well as technical or other comments on the document itself).

I agree.

Jeff P. Van Dyke
[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 09:35:27 -0800 (PST)

% 
% I believe that:
% 
% 	"Storing SSH Host Keys in DNS"
% 	draft-griffin-ssh-host-keys-in-dns-00.txt
% 
% should be made a working group document.
% 
% Please send comments on whether or not this makes sense to this list,
% (as well as technical or other comments on the document itself).
% 
% 						- Bill

	If ssh does not pick this up, the DNS people will and they
	(speaking as a DNS oriented guy) won't really understand
	this.  It would be useful to get Ed Lewis to comment as
	he has actually implemented this. ...  Ed?

--bill

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:48:33 -0500

I had a conversation along those lines with Olafur (for those keeping
score at home, he's a co-chair of DNSEXT); we both vigorously agreed
that it made more sense here than in DNSEXT.

				- Bill

---

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:24:15 -0500 (EST)

> that it made more sense here than in DNSEXT.

Just to concurr Bill and I agreed that SSH people are much better
qualified on specifying this but with help from us DNS people. 
There are no DNS issues associated with this the document mainly 
reserves a protocol number in DNS key records to use for SSH keys. 

I would like to ask the SSH WG to put this document on the fast
track as it is small but this is important addition to key distribution
for SSH. 

	Olafur (co-chair of DNSEXT)

---

From: [email-masked] (Niels M�ller)
Date: 03 Feb 2001 22:30:46 +0100

> (as well as technical or other comments on the document itself).

I don't know very much about DNS and DNSSEC internals (in particular,
I'm not sure how delegation/trust is supposed to flow across the dns
tree).

But the general idea of storing host keys in DNS makes a lot of sense
to me, and I welcome work on this in the wg.

/Niels