Subject: Port Forwarding Clarification

From: Alok Aggarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:10:56 -0700 (PDT)

Section 5.1 of the connection protocol draft says:

   <snip>

   byte 	SSH_MSG_GLOBAL_REQUEST
   string	"tcpip-forward"
   boolean	want reply
   string	address to bind (e.g. "0.0.0.0")
   uint32	port number to bind

   'Address to bind' and 'port number to bind' specify the address and port to
   which the socket to be listened is bound. The address should be "0.0.0.0"
   if connections are allowed from anywhere.

When it says the address should be "0.0.0.0" if connections are allowed from
anywhere, is it intended that if the client is IPv4 only then the address to
bind should be "0.0.0.0"?

So, if the client is dual stack or IPv6 only, then is it legal to send "::"?
How do some of the implementors handle this case?

Perhaps the draft needs to be explicit about specifying the 'address to bind'
for IPv4 and IPv6 clients.

-Alok