Subject: New drafs on improving shim6 for corporate and campus networks

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:57:48 +1100

I saw this in the moderator's queue, so I'm forwarding it on

   Geoff

-------- Original Message --------

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:49:53 +0100
From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: New drafs on improving shim6 for corporate and campus networks

Folks,

We have submitted two drafts that are targeted at improving the
behaviour of shim6 hosts in campus and corporate networks by allowing
the network operator to provide hints on the paths that hosts should use
to reach some destinations. Please find below the abstract of the two
drafts. The will appear on the IETF mirrors. In the meantime, they can
be retrieved from http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/publications

      Title           : The case for an informed path selection service
      Author(s)       : O. Bonaventure, D. Saucez, B. Donnet
      Filename        : draft-bonaventure-informed-path-selection-00.txt

With today's peer-to-peer applications, more and more content is
available from multiple sources.  In tomorrow's Internet hosts will
have multiple paths to reach one destination host with the deployment
of dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 hosts, but also with new techniques such as
shim6 or other locator/identifier mechanisms being discussed within
the IRTF RRG.  All these hosts will need to rank paths in order to
select the best paths to reach a given destination/content.  In this
draft, we propose an informed path selection service that would be
queried by hosts and would rank paths based on policies and
performance metrics defined by the network operator to meet his
traffic engineering objectives.  A companion document describes a
protocol that implements this service.

      Title           : IDIPS : ISP-Driven Informed Path Selection
      Author(s)       : D. Saucez, et al.
      Filename        : draft-saucez-idips-00.txt

This draft describes a simple network-based protocol to facilitate
Path Selection and to improve traffic engineering capabilities in
multihomed corporate networks.  With this protocol, any network
device that requires to select a path among a list of different paths
asks a Traffic Engineering service called IDIPS (ISP-Driven Informed
Path Selection) to obtain an ordered list of the possible paths.  The
ordering is constructed according to policies and performance
requirements of both the host and network provider.

Comments are welcome !

Olivier, Damien and Benoit

-- 
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be , Universite catholique de Louvain, Belgium