Subject: [Sidr] agenda for IETF 68

From: [email-masked] (Sandy Murphy)
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 14:08:51 -0500 (EST)

I have just submitted the following agenda.  If anyone wants to
make any changes or additions, send mail to me and to Geoff.

--Sandy

Secure Inter-Domain Routing WG (sidr)
IETF 68, Prague, CZ

MONDAY, March 19, 2007  1300-1500 Afternoon Session I 
====================================================

CHAIR(s): Geoff Huston <gih at apnic.net>
          Sandra Murphy <sandy at tislabs.com, sandy at sparta.com>

AGENDA:

 1) Administriva                                             5 minutes

   - Mailing list: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/index.html
   - Scribe?
   - Blue Sheets
   - Agenda Bashing

 2) New Drafts                                              60 minutes

    (a) Architecture                                        20 minutes

    An Infrastructure to Support Secure Internet Routing
    draft-ietf-sidr-arch-00.txt
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-arch-00.txt

    Presenter: Richard Barnes 

    (b) Route Originations                                  20 minutes

    A Profile for Route Origin Authorizations (ROA)
    draft-ietf-sidr-roa-format-00.txt
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-roa-format-00.txt

    Presenter: Stephen Kent

    (c) CPS for ISPs                                        20 minutes

    Template for an Internet Service Provider's Certification Practice 
    Statement (CPS) for the Internet IP address and AS Number PKI 
    draft-ietf-sidr-cps-isp-00.txt
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-cps-isp-00.txt

    Presenter: Derrick Kong

 3) Updated Drafts                                          45 minutes                       

    (a) Certificates                                        20 minutes

    A Profile for X.509 PKIX Resource Certificates
    draft-ietf-sidr-res-certs-05.txt
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-res-certs-05.txt

    Presenter: Geoff Huston

    (b) Certificate Policy                                  15 minutes

    Certificate Policy (CP) for the Internet IP Address and AS Number (PKI) 
    draft-ietf-sidr-cp-01.txt 
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-cp-01.txt

    Presenter: Karen Seo

    (c) CPS for Registries                                  10 minutes

    Template for an Internet Registry's Certification Practice Statement (CPS)  
    for the Internet IP Address and AS Number (PKI) 
    draft-ietf-sidr-cps-irs-01.txt 
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-cps-irs-01.txt

    Presenter: Derrick Kong

 4) General Discussion                                      10 minutes

_______________________________________________
Sidr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr

---

From: Larry Blunk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 05:45:00 -0400

The ROA presentation mentioned the option of using
"RPSL" for expressing prefix ranges.   I just wanted
to make it clear that my suggestion was to borrow the
"RPSL Range Operator" expression syntax for prefix ranges.
This is a very small subset of the RPSL standard.

   There were comments in the meeting that it would not be possible
to employ large scale BGP filtering (i.e. on non-customer peering sessions).
There has been some research to suggest that such filtering may in
fact be feasible on modern day routers.   See --
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0510/deleskie.html

 -Larry

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 06:18:49 -0400

>This is a very small subset of the RPSL standard.

Agreed. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

Steve

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:08:16 -0400

> http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0510/deleskie.html

Larry,

It was always feasible in "modern routers".  There was just a time
when not everyone making routers made modern routers.  :-)

Its more of an operational problem maintaining the prefix lists based
on a external database or other OOB means.  Some providers can deal
with it, others feel that they can't.  Religion may play a role here.

The other issue is database coverage and accuracy.

Fitting prefix lists into memory on the router, searching them
quickly, and relatively fast non-disruptive update has been possible
for well over a decade or just under a decade on some widely used
commercial routers.

A simplistic view is that SIDR is just changing the way the prefix
list is populated and hopefully will change the coverage and accuracy.

Curtis