Subject: [sidr] #10: Notice of changes to the CP - time for such notice

From: "sidr issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:24:44 -0000

#10: Notice of changes to the CP - time for such notice
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  gih@…            |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect           |      Status:  new
 Priority:  medium           |   Milestone:     
Component:  cp               |     Version:     
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |    Keywords:     
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reported by John Curran 5/11

  One issue which is raised is that a RPKI service provider now may be made
 subject (with one month's notice) to changes to the CP made by the IETF.
 As the CP specifies operational practices, this has potential to be
 impacting for the RPKI service provider and ISP's relying upon such certs.
 In order to protect those relying ISPs in the case of a CP change which
 causes RPKI providers to exit the business, the 9.12.2 implementation time
 period to should be long enough to allow ISP's to move to an RPKI
 providers now complying with the new CP document.  I'd recommend 6 months
 advance notice rather than one for this reason.

 Thanks,
 /John

 John,

 Fair point.  I thought about the 1 month value when I was editing the
 text, having not looked at it for a long time. I thought that the IESG/RFC
 process was sufficiently long that anyone who was watching would have a
 lot more than 1 month advance notice :-). However, not everyone who might
 be affected would necessarily be tracking a proposed change, and the
 change would, not be definite until approved by the IESG. So, I think this
 is very reasonable change this value to be 6 months.

 Steve

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/sidr/trac/ticket/10>
sidr <http://tools.ietf.org/sidr/>