Subject: Re: [sidr] #2: Objection noted to operational considerations in architecture document

From: "sidr issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:58:11 -0000

#2: Objection noted to operational considerations in architecture document
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  gih@…            |       Owner:     
     Type:  task             |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major            |   Milestone:     
Component:  arch             |     Version:     
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |    Keywords:     
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

Comment(by gih@…):

 - Matt Lepinski (6/11)

 With regards to the frequency with which relying parties fetch data from
 the repository system (be that authoritative publication points or caches
 operated by ISPs or RIRs), there appears to be a trade-off between "max
 time to fix a problem" vs "work required by the repository system and the
 relying parties". From this thread, it seems that there isn't an obvious
 right answer with regards to how often relying parties should query the
 repository system, but that there are risks associated with queries that
 are too frequent or too infrequent.

 To me, it seems that the best way to address this problem is to publish an
 "operational practices" document of some sort that documents this (and
 other) operational concerns and recommends practices to mitigate such
 risks. [That is, Sandy's (b) option].

 With regards to the architecture document (which I would very much like to
 see leave the working group in near future), I believe the best way
 forward is for the architecture document to be silent on this issue. For
 example, consider the following text for Section 6 (last paragraph on page
 15 of the arch-09):

  "Note that since relying parties will perform these operations
 regularly, it is more efficient for the relying party to request from
 the repository system only those objects that have changed since the
 relying party last updated its local cache. A relying party shall   choose
 the frequency with which it downloads and validates updates   from the
 repository system."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/sidr/trac/ticket/2#comment:1>
sidr <http://tools.ietf.org/sidr/>