Subject: [sidr] securing BGP against prefix hijacking

From: Yuri Cantor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:33:51 -0400

Hi--

I joined the mailing list because my current research seems to fit the
criteria.  I would like to submit my research paper on securing BGP
against prefix hijacks which proposes a novel method of preventing
hijacking.  Please let me know if there is a more appropriate group or
method for submitting / making proposals.   Any advise or feedback
would be greatly appreciated.  I am including a link to the paper
mentioned: http://comet.lehman.cuny.edu/cantor/conferences/CCBGP.pdf

Thank you,
Yuri Cantor

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:11:41 +0600

hi yuri,

nice paper, but ...

on the internet, the following core assumptions do not hold.  they fail
bigtime, not in minor ways.

 o Direct neighbors of an AS can be and are verified out of band.
 o Anyone can verify an AS’s neighbors.

and these are, at best, weak

 o The contract between neighboring ASes is legally binding and carries
   severe penalties for involvement in prefix hijackings.
 o An AS can and does securely download from IANA a database that
   contains mappings of all ASes to their owned Prefixes.

randy