Subject: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 00:48:14 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : BGPsec Operational Considerations
        Author          : Randy Bush
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops-07.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2015-12-15

Abstract:
   Deployment of the BGPsec architecture and protocols has many
   operational considerations.  This document attempts to collect and
   present the most critical and universal.  It is expected to evolve as
   BGPsec is formalized and initially deployed.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 17:58:46 +0900

thomas king and arnold nipper pointed out an omission which this fills

   A route server is usually 'transparent', most importantly not
   inserting its own AS into the AS_Path, to not lengthen the AS hop
   count and thereby reduce the likelihood of best path selection.  See
   2.2.2 of [I-D.ietf-idr-ix-bgp-route-server].  A BGPsec-aware route
   server needs to validate the incoming BGPSEC_Path, and to forward
   updates which can be validated by clients which know the route
   server's AS.  The route server uses pCount of zero to not increase
   the effective AS hop count.

randy